Spare Tire Subwoofer

Neotek

Hey everyone! I am thinking about custom making a fiber glass subwoofer enclosure that uses the extra space inside a spare tire ( http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-modifications/38915-diy-fiberglass-spare-sub-box-56k-beware-tons-pics.html). I have seen some good reviews on it, as well asa success stories. The only thing is that I would have to use a shallow mount subwoofer because of the small enclosure volume and lack of depth ( probay go with a 10in). I will probably go through with making and installing one. Do you think I should install one? ( I am not looking to get overpowerwing bass or desire to be heard from far away, I just want to add to the depth of sound). Please share any questions, comments, concerns, or advise. Thanks! -Matt

Should be easy enough with a sundown SD3 10. Flip the spare upside down and measure to see how much space you have. Thats the route i was going to take if i could fiberglass.

Go for it. Working with fiberglass isn't as difficult as it seems. This was my first attempt at building an enclosure with fiberglass...

post-5234-1403043026_thumb.jpg

Here's the build thread...

Got my refurtb SD-2 8 today - Car Audio Classifieds

Go for it. Working with fiberglass isn't as difficult as it seems. This was my first attempt at building an enclosure with fiberglass...
post-5234-1403043026_thumb.jpg

Here's the build thread...

Got my refurtb SD-2 8 today - Car Audio Classifieds
Hey! that look pretty good! Here are some questions I have. You don't have to answer all of them as it's just me typing everything I'm thinking : p. How does it sound, and is the sub you used an 8in? Does a fiber glass enclosure of that size provide enough volume for your sub? If my fiberglass box is fairly small because I am building inside a tire, would it be a good idea to use polyfill? I really appreciate the help and sorry for all of the questions. I am new to car audio and although I have read a lot on it, I have not asked for people's opinions on the things that I have read on.

Hey! that look pretty good! Here are some questions I have. You don't have to answer all of them as it's just me typing everything I'm thinking : p. How does it sound, and is the sub you used an 8in? Does a fiber glass enclosure of that size provide enough volume for your sub? If my fiberglass box is fairly small because I am building inside a tire, would it be a good idea to use polyfill? I really appreciate the help and sorry for all of the questions. I am new to car audio and although I have read a lot on it, I have not asked for people's opinions on the things that I have read on.
It sounds great. Those little 8s pound pretty hard especially in the tiny cab of my Toyota. It's pretty much the exact volume recommended by Sundown for that sub. I did the packing peanut method to figure the volume. Definitely use polyfill if your enclosure is going to be smaller than recommended for your sub.

No problem that's what places like this are for.

It sounds great. Those little 8s pound pretty hard especially in the tiny cab of my Toyota. It's pretty much the exact volume recommended by Sundown for that sub. I did the packing peanut method to figure the volume. Definitely use polyfill if your enclosure is going to be smaller than recommended for your sub.
No problem that's what places like this are for.
Thanks for the help! I am definitely going to go through with it. I looked a the sundowns (and they are really nice), but I bit out of my price range if I want to do a fiberglass box. I have heard/read great things about pioneers ib flat shallow subwoofers (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Shallow+Mount). I am aware that pioneer is not the best brand, but their newest shallows get great reviews and I am not looking for something that hits too hard because I don't really listen to rap, r&b, dubstep, or much with a lot of bass, so I will start with a starter system and work my way up. Do you think I should go with the 8, 10, or 12. I currently drive a 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander xls which is a mid/small suv. My budget allows for any one and so will the spare tire size. I believe that the volume will best support the 10" or 12", but there is no way to be sure untill I do the packing peanut method. I will also need an amp and I am not sure what to do for that yet. I will probably stick with something that is just for sub and get a separate one that is for my mid ranges later down the road ( my head unit can power them fine for now). Again, thank you for helping the newbie. I am sure not many want to do that : )

A ten would probably get the job done but I've always subscribed to the "get as much cone area as you can" school of thought. As long as you have the volume for the 12 I would do the 12.

As far as amps, you can't go wrong with one of the China clone mono amps...

PPI P1000.1

Soundstream TN1.1200D

NVX JAD1200.1

Good cheap power. Just pick the cheapest or the one you like the look of the best.

If you have an suv and thinking of getting the pioneers. You will be disappointed. I got 2 8inchers and it was not getting certain lows in certain rock songs. Then again they were in sealed enclosures. If your stuck on getting the pioneers then get a 12in and port it. Though to be honest I dont think the pioneers can handle ported. I tried it and the bass was not acurate. Ultimately i took the advice of the forum members and went with a sundown sd3 10 and the difference is night and day. If cost is a factor try b stock. I posted some pics on another thread and it was a nice bargain.

If you have an suv and thinking of getting the pioneers. You will be disappointed. I got 2 8inchers and it was not getting certain lows in certain rock songs. Then again they were in sealed enclosures. If your stuck on getting the pioneers then get a 12in and port it. Though to be honest I dont think the pioneers can handle ported. I tried it and the bass was not acurate. Ultimately i took the advice of the forum members and went with a sundown sd3 10 and the difference is night and day. If cost is a factor try b stock. I posted some pics on another thread and it was a nice bargain.
Thanks, I will take your word for it and look into the sundowns. I think the shallow mounts could possibly handle being ported because the 8in does even need an enclosure and the twelve works off a small enclosure. If you don't mind looking, this is the one I was thinking about buying (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Shallow+Mount/TS-SW3002S4) what is the general mounting depth of 10in sundowns? My sub will be placed face up in a spare tire and the spare tire in my car is a temporary size, not a full so there will be just under 4in of mounting depth. Thanks for the help! -Matt

Thanks for the help! I am definitely going to go through with it. I looked a the sundowns (and they are really nice), but I bit out of my price range if I want to do a fiberglass box. I have heard/read great things about pioneers ib flat shallow subwoofers (Shallow Mount | Pioneer Electronics USA). I am aware that pioneer is not the best brand, but their newest shallows get great reviews and I am not looking for something that hits too hard because I don't really listen to rap, r&b, dubstep, or much with a lot of bass, so I will start with a starter system and work my way up. Do you think I should go with the 8, 10, or 12. I currently drive a 2003 Mitsubishi Outlander xls which is a mid/small suv. My budget allows for any one and so will the spare tire size. I believe that the volume will best support the 10" or 12", but there is no way to be sure untill I do the packing peanut method. I will also need an amp and I am not sure what to do for that yet. I will probably stick with something that is just for sub and get a separate one that is for my mid ranges later down the road ( my head unit can power them fine for now). Again, thank you for helping the newbie. I am sure not many want to do that : )
Pioneer is bottom of the barrel when it comes to subwoofers man, poor sound quality, poor output, overpriced. Sundown SD is top notch when it comes to shallow mount.

Stick to head units when it comes to pioneer, avoid their cheaper speaker lines and almost all of their subwoofer lines. Cant emphasize enough how sh*t pioneer subs are. Utter garbage right next to boss and pyle.

Pioneer is bottom of the barrel when it comes to subwoofers man, poor sound quality, poor output, overpriced. Sundown SD is top notch when it comes to shallow mount.
Stick to head units when it comes to pioneer, avoid their cheaper speaker lines and almost all of their subwoofer lines. Cant emphasize enough how sh*t pioneer subs are. Utter garbage right next to boss and pyle.
So I was looking and found a sundown that is $50 more than I would like to spend, but I could afford it (thanks for pointing me in the direction of car audio bargain itcharles). The only problem was despite it being of their SD series ( http://www.caraudiobargain.com/b-stock-sundown-audio-sd-3-10-500-watt-sd-series/ ) the mounting depth is an inch too deep. That really bummed me out. The reason for me doing the project is to save space, have fun, do something uncommon, and get at least a decent sound quality without breaking the bank. I could always ditch the spare tire idea, but I would prefer not to. I might be able to raise the top of the enclosure by an inch, but I will have to check the recommended volume for the sundown and measure the tire well tomorrow.

Whats the depth that you have to work with? The Sd only needs 4.75 inches and .4ft^3. Trust me if you can fit the sd-3 in a sealed enclosure you will be very happy. No need to port if specially if you have a small suv and don't listen to rap or hip hop. Just know that the SD3 is awesome and hits low very well.

SD-3 1-10"

Sealed 0.4 ft^3

Ported 0.5-.75 ft^3

Displacement 0.10 ft^3

Depth 4.75"

Outside Diameter 8 3/8"

Cut-Out 7 3/8"

Recommended Tuning 32hz

Recommended Port Area 8-12 in^2

FYI: I am doing the same thing spare tire sub placement but I am have a company in Poland do it for me. I love their stealth boxes I would recommend them.

Whats the depth that you have to work with? The Sd only needs 4.75 inches and .4ft^3. Trust me if you can fit the sd-3 in a sealed enclosure you will be very happy. No need to port if specially if you have a small suv and don't listen to rap or hip hop. Just know that the SD3 is awesome and hits low very well.
SD-3 1-10"

Sealed 0.4 ft^3

Ported 0.5-.75 ft^3

Displacement 0.10 ft^3

Depth 4.75"

Outside Diameter 8 3/8"

Cut-Out 7 3/8"

Recommended Tuning 32hz

Recommended Port Area 8-12 in^2

FYI: I am doing the same thing spare tire sub placement but I am have a company in Poland do it for me. I love their stealth boxes I would recommend them.
The depth I have is about 3.75 inches... if I am lucky. I also checked my volume ( of the spare tire, keep in mind that it may be less because the fiberglass will take up room and any error in my measurements). I set a garbage bag in he center of the tire and filled it up with water untill it took up all of the extra space and It totaled to be about .47 cubic feet. I may be able to make the enclosure an inch taller, although I am not sure it will fit.

Sent from my LG-H950 using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.