Sounqubed SQ1200 Clipping

mudflap1989

NC
I have a Sundown SA12 (2 ohm DVC wired to 1 ohm confirmed with DMM) powered by a Soundqubed SQ1200 in a prefab ported box. Playing a test tone from my phone (directly into the amp from my phone, not going through the head unit) the highest power input that I can get into the amp before the clip indicator starts lighting up is about 42 amps as measured with my amp clamp. The amperage varies at different frequencies, but the max I've seen is 42 amps. Input voltage at the amp is ~14.1 at this point. The sub is moving pretty good at this point, but I still think there is more to be had.

Maybe the amp doesn't do rated, but 42 amps is only 475 watts at 80% efficiency.

Is this amp really this underpowered or is there something about clipping that I don't understand? Could the indicator be wrong and the amp isn't really clipping? I can't hear any clipping, but I turn the gain down once the indicator starts flashing so I haven't really pushed it hard.

I have a Sundown SA12 (2 ohm DVC wired to 1 ohm confirmed with DMM) powered by a Soundqubed SQ1200 in a prefab ported box. Playing a test tone from my phone (directly into the amp from my phone, not going through the head unit) the highest power input that I can get into the amp before the clip indicator starts lighting up is about 42 amps as measured with my amp clamp. The amperage varies at different frequencies, but the max I've seen is 42 amps. Input voltage at the amp is ~14.1 at this point. The sub is moving pretty good at this point, but I still think there is more to be had.
Maybe the amp doesn't do rated, but 42 amps is only 475 watts at 80% efficiency.

Is this amp really this underpowered or is there something about clipping that I don't understand? Could the indicator be wrong and the amp isn't really clipping? I can't hear any clipping, but I turn the gain down once the indicator starts flashing so I haven't really pushed it hard.
set amp by volts on amp speaker outputs.. pull wires out of amp stick meter prongs in it play tone u want to set about 32-34v for close to 1200 @ 1 ohm (31.5 to be safe)..

It doesn’t work like that. Power is amperage and voltage not just voltage. They do rated.
42 amps x 14.1 volts (both measured at input to amp) = 592 watts of input power. Output power can't be higher than that, right?

Couple problems I see here....Why are you running test tones from your phone instead of your HU? It'll be more accurate that way. That 12 in a prefab is gonna sound like crap....it deserves a custom box, unless you plan to buy another. That amp puts out way more power than 475 watts....should do 1200.

34.64 is the magic number for gain set

42 amps x 14.1 volts (both measured at input to amp) = 592 watts of input power. Output power can't be higher than that, right?
Seems OP thinks the amplifiers AC voltage output is directly dependent on the dc voltage in. Thats not the case. Amps have transformers that boost the voltage way above the 14.4 vdc coming in.

Edit: i cant read tonight. no offence op

I'm gonna build a box, just using the prefab for now. I tested the speaker out voltage just below clipping and it's 40 volts, so that would equate to 1600 watts output. Maybe my amp clamp is off then since it's only reading 42 amps input.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I feel better that my amp is putting out near what it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
And where is your deck set to? Is your deck distorting? Your clip light will go off if your deck distorts. Also I find the clip indicator on Soundqubed and DD amps can be a bit sensitive.... And the volt meters can read incorrectly.... if equipped.

It doesn’t work like that. Power is amperage and voltage not just voltage. They do rated.
Both of which were measured.

Right.

Seems OP thinks the amplifiers AC voltage output is directly dependent on the dc voltage in. Thats not the case. Amps have transformers that boost the voltage way above the 14.4 vdc coming in.
It's not dependent on just voltage -- as that should basically be stable. It's dependent on voltage and current, and he's not getting much of the latter.

Impedance rise and weak output signal from your phone. You should be measuring output volts ac and ac amps.
amps x volts = watts and volts/amps = ohms aka what you are rising to (impedance rise)
That.

Impedance rise. You can get a semi-accurate idea of the impedance you're measuring by knowing your frequency and modeling the sub. There should be an impedance graph to tell you what you're working with.

For example, I pulled up a random 1 ohm sub from the pre-loaded t/s data in WinIsd Pro. The Adire Audio Brahma with a 1 ohm Z is 4.6 ohms at 40hz.

Impedance rise. You can get a semi-accurate idea of the impedance you're measuring by knowing your frequency and modeling the sub. There should be an impedance graph to tell you what you're working with.
For example, I pulled up a random 1 ohm sub from the pre-loaded t/s data in WinIsd Pro. The Adire Audio Brahma with a 1 ohm Z is 4.6 ohms at 40hz.
Thanks. I didn't realize that the impedance rose like that. I measured the amperage in the speaker wire and it was around 6amps at 30 something volts (~180 watts).

Apparently what I'm expecting to measure isn't correct though. I was expecting to measure ~1,500 watts input the amp (allowing for efficiency loss) or 1,200 output because that is what I thought the amp would output when connected to a 1 ohm nominal load. But actually the amp is operating against a much higher load and its actual output is going to be less than rated power at impedance above 1 ohm.

Are there any real world scenarios where my setup would get anywhere near an actual 1200 watt output? Part of my limitations in building my system was that I have a hybrid, so I can't upgrade the alternator and I'm stuck with the 100amp output from the hybrid charging system. Right now bough, ,I am nowhere near this 100amp limit, the highest I've measured into the amp is 42 amps.

I'm surprised it's only drawing 42 amps, but I also have my doubts. How are you reading this? A DC clamp? Or some internal monitoring system in the car?

The only way to get more power is modify your enclosure and subs to optimize rise, or to drop it to .5

A more realistic option is to get a 2k amplifier

All your numbers seem way off, though. You should get 600-800w into that sub near tuning with a soft clip

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.