Sounqubed SQ1200 Clipping

Are there any real world scenarios where my setup would get anywhere near an actual 1200 watt output?
Sure. Hook the amp up to a 1 ohm resistor bank.

How about instead of getting hung up on how much power your amp is drawing you go ahead and tell us what's wrong with the sound of things and we can let you know how you should remedy that.

Sure. Hook the amp up to a 1 ohm resistor bank.
How about instead of getting hung up on how much power your amp is drawing you go ahead and tell us what's wrong with the sound of things and we can let you know how you should remedy that.
It does sound good. After reading everyone's comments here, I think that everything is properly working as it sound. I was just under the assumption that the amp would draw closer to 100 amps at normal operating conditions, which apparently is wrong because of impedance rise. Which is great that everything is working as it should. If I knew that the setup would typically draw less then I might have choose a different sub and amp. Just reiterate again, my car is a hybrid and can only make 100amps because this is dictated by the DC to DC convertor (converts from the high voltage hybrid battery to the 12V battery). Thanks for all the help everyone.

I'm surprised it's only drawing 42 amps, but I also have my doubts. How are you reading this? A DC clamp? Or some internal monitoring system in the car?
The only way to get more power is modify your enclosure and subs to optimize rise, or to drop it to .5

A more realistic option is to get a 2k amplifier

All your numbers seem way off, though. You should get 600-800w into that sub near tuning with a soft clip
I'm measuring with a handheld clamp on amp meter. It possible the meter could be off. Ive been trying to think of somewhere where I have a known DC amperage that I could clamp on to do a crude calibration. Nothing has came to mind though. Thanks for the help.

I'm measuring with a handheld clamp on amp meter. It possible the meter could be off. Ive been trying to think of somewhere where I have a known DC amperage that I could clamp on to do a crude calibration. Nothing has came to mind though. Thanks for the help.
Are you sure it's a DC amperage meter and not AC only? DC Clamps are significantly more expensive and I initially thought I could measure DC amps with my original clamp like 4 years ago before I realized it was an AC clamp meter

Are you sure it's a DC amperage meter and not AC only? DC Clamps are significantly more expensive and I initially thought I could measure DC amps with my original clamp like 4 years ago before I realized it was an AC clamp meter
Yeah, it definitely does both AC and DC.

It does sound good. After reading everyone's comments here, I think that everything is properly working as it sound. I was just under the assumption that the amp would draw closer to 100 amps at normal operating conditions, which apparently is wrong because of impedance rise. Which is great that everything is working as it should. If I knew that the setup would typically draw less then I might have choose a different sub and amp. Just reiterate again, my car is a hybrid and can only make 100amps because this is dictated by the DC to DC convertor (converts from the high voltage hybrid battery to the 12V battery). Thanks for all the help everyone.
If it sounds good, it is good. Sounds to me like your amp is functioning as it should and gained properly. It is probable that your amp has a bit more to give as you push it a little into clipping and you can certainly get more power out of it by halving impedance but if you're not trying to compete that's all completely pointless and the best you could hope to gain is the equivalent of 1 click of your volume knob.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.