Soundproofing front doors

neil4374

Senior VIP Member
Hey Guys,

Regarding soundproofing the front doors. (I have no money left for any other doors or boot!)

I have researched and found a good video. To my surprise he said that one only needs to cover 25% of the door panel with soundproofing(the part that is the direct interior to the outside of the car)

Does the sound about right to you?

As for the interior part of the door that connects to the leather part of the door which is removed to do this job.(That is more or less 100% covered)

Am I on the right tracks?

Cheers

basically any part thats prone to flexing. Any curves in metal or braced metal can be skipped unless it makes a crazy amounts of resonance when you knock on it. Otherwise just cover up the door holes and spread the deadener out on the areas resonating the most when you tap on it.

I've gone as far as doubling up my doors and even the back of the plastic panel. Doesn't hurt and covered prob more than enough area.

25% tho sounds half-assed imo. But really depends upon the rattles and such which areas need covering. Prob most todays vehicles area soundproofed pretty well.

I've gone as far as doubling up my doors and even the back of the plastic panel. Doesn't hurt and covered prob more than enough area.
25% tho sounds half-assed imo. But really depends upon the rattles and such which areas need covering. Prob most todays vehicles area soundproofed pretty well.
the 25% thing is mainly for budget sound quality and works wonders when done right. Basically gives you the 90% of results of full coverage performance when done right. Many people have done it with great success not on here but diyma where they are a lot more technical when it comes to budget builds. However they arent loud at all bass wise over there so lol...

I have 20 pieces of 150cm x 110cm.

I think this will do more than 25% if my calculations are correct!

I reckon it's 3000cm x 2200cm

3 metres x over 2 metres.

I think my calculations are wrong!

See BoominTahoe, we are much more similar than different!! I too agree over-sound deadening beats under. And I guess it depends on the vehicle for the effectiveness of the factory sound deadening. The cheap ineffective junk we found in my 2006 Grand Caravan belies the theory that today''s cars are better sound deadened than before! Some may be but not the one I have. And I'm intrigued by your saying you "[doubled] up [your] doors"! I was thinking of doing this, but I think I have my doors pretty well.

John Kuthe...

I told you guys I cant measure for ****!

They are not cm they are mm!

So I have 20 sheets of 150mm x 110mm

You probably wondered why I was thinking I didn't have enough with 150cm x110cm!

But now its in mm.

I am trying to work out what coverage I will get with that on front doors(Both inner and outer skin?)

cheers

but diyma where they are a lot more technical when it comes to budget builds. However they arent loud at all bass wise over there so lol...
Serious! sometimes im just like...can we keep this simple. I want to build a kick panel. I dont need FIR filtering to deal with the group delay caused by the 24db slope on the 200-500hz range because i wont be able to hear the third chair moving in the song backstage of whitney houston Hd 24/98kkhz song.

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
That site has all the info you need. They also have the single best sound deadener available. second place goes to

Kno Knoise - Kolossus Edition Sound Deadener

Sound Deadening (CLD) Testing - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum

^^ look at the very last post on the very last page. Guy tested every CLD available.

25% coverage is true. Doubling up gives you nothing more.
I used Second Skin's Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro and some BQuiet stuff too. Damplifier Pro's way better than BQuiet, but it's all good. The more the better! IMHO.

John Kuthe...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.