Sound suddenly got quieter on left side?!

Participant count
  • Participant list

dawgs007

Low-End Fanatic
Ohio
My car has an aftermarket HU (KDC-397, the Excelon version) and it has sounded great until today. I drove to work and all the speakers sounded fine and when I left work, the front and rear LEFT speakers both appear much quiter than the RIGHT side speakers. All speakers still play, but the left side speakers are just much much quieter.

I have tried tuner and CD to ensure that it wasn't a simple aux problem, to no avail.

Also, I have the speakers wired straight into the HU, no extra amplifiers involved.

Does it sound like it is a HU problem or speaker problem?

Any tips or information would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

No sir, I don't have any kids and my car was locked the entire day. Plus, I checked the bal and fade. Both at 0. Could it just be the left channel amplifier in the HU is blown?

While that is possible....

Check cd and radio source and see if it does same thing.

Perhaps something is grounding out on the left side and is taking some of the power and bleeding it off to ground or whatever it could be...

So if do check sources.. next thing is to unhook both speakers then plug up one at a time to find culprit.

I have checked aux, tuner, and CD... They all do it.

And what could be grounding that would cause drop in voltage on BOTH left side speakers?

I have discovered that the speakers, on the left, are sometimes quiet and sometimes normal. There appears to be no pattern as to when it happens. But, once they're quiet, or normal, they remain that way until the car is turned off. Anybody ever have this problem?

Are you literally going to keep saying the same thing over and over or are you going to actually do some troubleshooting?

I thought that's why you were asking questions?

I have done troubleshooting. I can't seem to figure out if it's a grnd. problem or not. Also, I posted this, more or less, with hoped that other people have had the problem and can give a little guidance as to their solution. Have a good day.

I never heard what you discovered when you did.

So i'll ask.

What happened when only one speaker was plugged up at a time?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.