Sound Quality peeps, what NEW SCHOOL 4 channel are you running and why?

I hope everyone debated between round and oval speakers are sound engineers... The spot the 4x6 there is no way to put in a different size round speaker without cutting up the door and door panel which I’m not going to do so shove it with the you have to have round speakers for it to sound clear. For my needs and music taste it will sound fine.

playing non omni directional frequencies under your seats is going to sound stupid. ie: 80 hz and up. Non round cones are tested and proven to have cancellation in certain areas where the 2 differing compound curves of the driver overlap in the soundstage.
You can't start to localize sound until about 300hz which is where I plan on crossing the mids. Do you have any links to those studies?

I hope everyone debated between round and oval speakers are sound engineers... The spot the 4x6 there is no way to put in a different size round speaker without cutting up the door and door panel which I’m not going to do so shove it with the you have to have round speakers for it to sound clear. For my needs and music taste it will sound fine.
You could get an adapter and run a 4" speaker. There are some quality 4" component sets out there. If you can find one a JBL 408gti set would be sweet.

Think of the path of least resistance and how the energy is transfered.

If I drop a marble in a pool the energy transfer will resemble the object. The marble is displacing and forcing the water away from the object.

Now if a drop a retangle object the same thing happens but I follows the path of least resistance. If you look at the direction of the energy dispurtion you see eventually the waves run into each other

You can't start to localize sound until about 300hz which is where I plan on crossing the mids. Do you have any links to those studies?
yeah they are at the same location of your 300hz localization study

If anyone is interested in some background on sound localization, I have a few articles of interest. One company that made large headway in this field was developing audible exit signage, using broadband noise to allow easily localization. Their research made it into NFPA 72 and is included in Annex D for voice evacuation (speech intelligibility and sound localization) for the preservation of life.

Two of their articles are here:

\http://www.systemsensor.com/en-us/Documents/localizable_alarms.pdf

http://www.systemsensor.com/en-us/Documents/exitpoint_directional_sound_evacuation.pdf

You'll note that localization doesn't have a hard cutoff above or below a certain frequency. Instead, the spectral content of the noise is what matters. How we localize sound (IID vs ITD) has a frequency cut-off based on the physical distance between our ears.

Page 4 of this article has good graphics to illustrate this:

http://www.systemsensor.com/en-us/Documents/life_saving_directional_sound.pdf

only keep hope alive is an actual sound engineer unfortunately.

Over the past 25 years, I've done plenty of 4x6 dash installations when an upgrade from stock without custom work was desired. Dash corners are historically good locations for speakers due to their height and use of the windshield. The 4x6 plate components are a typical approach but suffer from poor midbass performance (a combination of the driver size and the lack of seals in the dash). This means we usually want some midbass driver added to the mix or you get a null between the sub and dash speakers. Historically, automakers supplemented with larger rear deck woofers. These are usually adversely affected by the addition of trunk subs (due to pressurization of the trunk putting force on rear deck speaker cones) and rear speakers are behind us so it's hard to get everything to live up front in the soundstage. Since few people actually care about a soundstage, it's not always a huge issue. Most people just want sound to come from all around them and want to hear all instruments clearly. The lack of good midbass is the primary downside to a 4x6 speaker (oval or plate combo).

Changes in polar response aren't as big of a deal up in a dash due to the windshield.

If anyone wants a digital copy of the Handbook for Sound Engineers (text book) let me know. I have a variety of acoustical text books and reference material I am happy to share.
I definitely do. The articles I used to read and all the old information I used to read is hard to find or gone. This was in the early 2000s so frankly alot disappeared.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.