Disadvantage to strapping amps?

KilluminatiDre
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Japan
So I was planning to getting an Orion XTR4000.1 but it may take awhile to get my electrical up to par. I was thinking of getting one XTR2500.1 initially then once my electrical has improved strap a second one. Would there be any disadvantage to this? Also if I have (2) 1 ohm stable amps strapped does that make the final load 2 ohms?

Yes if you have to 1 ohm stable amps strapped together then you will need woofers to wire to a final ohm load of 2 ohms so each amp will see one ohm I had planned on strapping my amps to but somebody shared a video saying that it could cause phase and cancellation issues but there was still several ways to strap and come out good while avoiding the issues I can't remember all the details but as long as you strap them right you won't have any problems it is a proven method and the XTR series is strappable

So I was planning to getting an Orion XTR4000.1 but it may take awhile to get my electrical up to par. I was thinking of getting one XTR2500.1 initially then once my electrical has improved strap a second one. Would there be any disadvantage to this? Also if I have (2) 1 ohm stable amps strapped does that make the final load 2 ohms?
For certain damping factor is halved if you strap, though that spec may be rather over-rated in importance. Also someone posted a video here a couple months ago of a guy in the UK showing how phase was often off in two "identical" amps right out of the box, so you'll need to use some care to gain match them exactly.

For certain damping factor is halved if you strap, though that spec may be rather over-rated in importance. Also someone posted a video here a couple months ago of a guy in the UK showing how phase was often off in two "identical" amps right out of the box, so you'll need to use some care to gain match them exactly.
You mean 2 identical amps both set at zero phase can put out different power to the subs? That's something I've never considered. I've all ways just matched them number for number on a dmm.

You mean 2 identical amps both set at zero phase can put out different power to the subs? That's something I've never considered. I've all ways just matched them number for number on a dmm.
Yes. Keep an eye on this thread, I'm sure someone will remember the video posted of two identical amps on the scope and re-post the link.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.