Sound location help please.

Participant count
  • Participants list

jmstrawn12

CarAudio.com Newbie
I recently installed a new Pioneer DMH-WC6600NEX head unit, 4 channel amp, speakers, and powered subwoofer in my 2022 Highlander XSE and I'm having trouble setting up the sound correctly. This is my first time doing all of this so any help is appreciated. I've installed Memphis Audio PRX3 speakers in the dash and Memphis Audio PRX6903 speakers in the front doors and added a SSL 8" LOPRO8 powered sub between the second row and third row seats. I disconnected the rear door speakers as I;ve read that most people who do builds don't use them. The door speakers have Roadkill Fast Rings installed and I have also installed Kilmat throughout the car. Everything works as it should but the sound is off. While sitting in the drivers chair the sound quality is good but if I lean forward towards the steering wheel is gets much better. The bass is more pronounced and the overall sound quality is much better. It seems my sweet spot is about 1 foot in front of my face. I have tried adjusting fader/balance controls as well as time alignment and decibels thru the head unit but the best sound is always forward near my steering wheel. The door speakers aim right at my shins and the dash speakers fire right into my windshield. Does anyone have any advice on how to move the 'sweet spot' to where my ears are normally positioned while driving the car?

Mike Strawn

You're experiencing a common problem. Move and/or aim the speakers. Adding a midrange speaker can help alot. Switching to HLCDs can be a huge improvement. It's gonna take some work and probably some $$$$.

Now that I double checked, OP has 2-ways in the dash and 3-ways in the doors. He'll never get proper imaging and sound stage with that set up.

Last edited:
You have too many speakers playing overlapping frequencies. That causes a lot of comb filtering and what I'd describe as a "hot" sound; kinda sounds like a dance club.

Now that I've got a better grasp on the equipment, here's a few suggestions. I'd try disconnecting the dash speakers and see how that works. Next I'd try running the 6x9s as a midbass, so lowpass the 6x9s at ~300hz and high pass the dash speakers at ~300hz.

I'm a total noob with installing car audio so can you please tell me where the sails are?

Mike Strawn
The sails are the inside part of the side view mirrors.
Screenshot_20230203-230519(1)~2.png

You have too many speakers playing overlapping frequencies. That causes a lot of comb filtering and what I'd describe as a "hot" sound; kinda sounds like a dance club.

Now that I've got a better grasp on the equipment, here's a few suggestions. I'd try disconnecting the dash speakers and see how that works. Next I'd try running the 6x9s as a midbass, so lowpass the 6x9s at ~300hz and high pass the dash speakers at ~300hz.
I did as Jimi77 said and set the low and high pass filters on the amplifier. Everything sounds great now! Thank you all so much for your help and the education. I never thought of frequencies overlapping causing a problem. Makes sense to me now.

Mike Strawn

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...