Sound deadening suv

Participant count
  • Participant list
I've got a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I'm looking to install some kind of sound deadener on. I have no idea how to do this. What areas of the Jeep would benefit most from installing the sound deadener on? I've got factory door speakers and a 15" sub if that matters. I'm also just wondering in general if sound deadening is something that I'd notice a difference from after doing it.

i would listen to my system first you may not need anything depending on the amount of power you run suvs are much more forgiving then cars

any big flat panels (which in an suv there are a lot of them) are going to resonate, 25% coverage of the center of the panel is typically enough to control that resonance, anything past that is really a waste for most applications.

to start getting rid of rattles use foam tape on all the interior panels wherever the touch metal or each other to keep them from rattling, and if you want to start blocking out road noise and keeping in sound then an unbroken barrier of MLV that is decoupled with a layer of CCF is the the only real way to go.

This is my roof with 800 RMS running to a 12" C2 Audio Threatcon 2. It's a long video recorded in HD and most of the roof flex is after the 6 minute mark. And I have the Dodge Nitro. Taking the headliner down will be a little tougher. I have to remove each pillar panel, oh $hit handles, light fixtures, and the visors from up front. So it will be a pain but once it's down it will take about 30 minutes to deaden and then back up it goes.

I gutted the whole rear of my 94 grand cherokee all the way to the front seats and covered it 100% with RAMMAT and GTMAT....made one hell of a difference to how it sounded...like night and day. I would say definitly one of the biggest upgrades you could do...that and building your own speaker box =] Once you get some better door speakers you will want to seal those doors up too...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.