Sound Deadener Install, 08 Ram quad cab

Flex68
10+ year member

dilligaf
“tl;dr”
[I’ll go ahead and get the jump, here, for the folks who aren’t interested enuff (or bored enuff!) to look over a long sound deadener install thread, lol]

My sincere thanks go out to @Rudy ; for the great products he sells, and the knowledge and assistance he shared.
Thanks a bunch, Don! There aren’t many like you in this industry!

I am very pleased with the dramatic improvements realized from the use of SDS’ CLD tiles, MLV, CCF, and Thinsulate.

Just to quickly outline a few things I have noticed:
• I still have the sad little OEM/stock system, for a bit longer, but am pleasantly surprised with the difference after the SDS materials were installed. I originally was able to turn the volume up to only 23/ or 24/38 before I started getting nastiness in return (distortion, vibration, etc).
I now am able to consistently turn the volume to 34 – 38 on the majority of music selections, with no issues, whatsoever.
Pink Floyd be sounding good at max on every song on the CDs, and the helicopter lead-in to “The Happiest Days of Our Lives” gives me a semi !
(And we are talking about some pathetic little “Made in Mexico” speakers, here…can’t wait to see what decent comps sound like!!)
• I have aftermarket dual exhaust. Still sounds good, but is no longer an ‘aggravation’ in the cab on longer rides: the staccato and high-end is gone.
• Likewise, the road noise and wind noise is much reduced from before, and the ‘noise pollution’ from the speakers is much less a concern. (The cops will hopefully agree!)
• The A/C performs much more efficiently, now. There were apparently quite a few ‘losses’ in the system, before. I would have to turn the fan up to mid – max and leave it there to maintain cabin comfort, depending on how hot it was outside. Now, I actually have to turn it OFF on occasion because it gets cold enuff to hang a side o’ beef in there!
• The difference in the ‘solidity’ of both the exterior panels and the interior door panels is obvious. Now when I rest my knee against the door, there is no ‘give,’ whatsoever to it, and the ‘hollowness’ upon closing the doors is gone.
• Gas mileage has not decreased notably. I am going to say I might attribute around ½ MPG less per tank, if that…far less than I feared for adding 80-100lbs of weight.
• For those desiring quantitative data, I had every intention of including a “Before” and “After” RTA, but technical difficulties prevented the “After” reading from being completed…Hope and intend to get that info up later.

Again, I am very pleased with the results I experienced, and definitely would recommend SDS to others!

On to the pics…

The roof with the factory deadener…
Pic1_Roof_factory_tile.jpg

The roof with CLD tiles. Went with a bit more than 25% since no MLV was going here, just CLD and Thinsulate (which we failed to get a pic of before reinstalling the headliner…)
Pic2_Roof_after.jpg

The floor and back wall of cab after removing seats and carpet. Yes, we did clean it good before putting down the tiles, etc.
Pic3_Floor_backwall_before.jpg

The floor and backwall of cab after placement of CLD tiles
Pic4_Floor_backwall_after_tiles.jpg

Rear underseat wells (where fiberglass enclosures for subs will go) after the MLV
Pic5_Rear_wells_after_MLV.jpg

The rear floor after putting down the MLV
Pic6_Rear_floor_after_MLV.jpg

Shot of the front floor area before
Pic7_Front_floor_before.jpg

Shot of the front floor area after CLD tiles
Pic8_Front_floor_after_tiles.jpg

Shot of the front floor area after MLV
Pic10_Front_floor_completed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Final pieces of MLV down on front floor over top of OEM damper

Pic11_Passenger_floor_after_MLV.jpg

Pic of CCF glued to MLV, ready to install on backwall of cab

Pic12_Back_wall_MLV_and_CCF.jpg

Backwall of cab, MLV+CCF installed, carpet back in

Pic13_Back_wall_carpet_installed.jpg

Backwall vent covered with MLV (gap at top and bottom for airflow)

Pic14_Vent_covered.jpg

Backwall of cab finished, OEM cover reinstalled

Pic15_Back_wall_completed.jpg

Front passenger door, interior door trim panel removed. Note the decent rubberized cover (held on with weak butyl)

Pic16_Front_passenger_door_before.jpg

Front passenger door after CLD tiles added to inner and outer skin. (Note that the large holes will later be covered with fiberglass panels, attached with screws+RTV, when I am installing my comps)

Pic17_Front_passenger_door_after_tiles.jpg

Front passenger door after MLV+CCF panel hung, speaker flange covered with CCF and reinstalled

Pic18_Front_passenger_door_after_MLV.jpg

Driver’s side rear door after covering and butyl removed, ready to clean and place tiles

Pic19_Rear_door_before.jpg

Each door had this factory padding installed on interior of each door trim panel, along with the rubberized cover on the inside door skins and factory tiles on exterior door skins… nothing like what it has now, but not bad

Pic20_OEM_foam_damper.jpg

Driver’s rear door MLV cut to size. Above it you can barely see the CCF. Easy to use the Velcro to ensure the MLV is correctly sized/placed, first, then use the MLV as the pattern to cut out the CCF. You will also see my note “Left Rear back side” on the MLV…once you have one side fitted, if you’re lucky---as I was---the other side will be an exact mirror image, allowing you to use this panel as a template for the other side. Just invert, mark, and cut!

Pic21_Drivers_rear_door_MLV_panel.jpg%20

Driver’s rear door CCF glued to the MLV, ready to install

Pic22_Passenger_door_CCF_and_MLV.jpg

MLV hung, with the CCF under speaker flange

Pic23_Passenger_rear_door_after_MLV.jpg

Passenger’s side rear door panel with CLD tiles. This was done to each of the four…

Pic24_Door_skin_after_CLD.jpg

Thinsulate will be installed inside each interior door panel after the MLV+CCF has time to “set-in” a bit. Easy decision since I still have to install wiring and comps…

The process takes time and is not an ‘afternoon job’ by a long shot! What is outlined, above, took around 28 hours to complete.

nice break down bro. Thanks, mang!Kinda ironic though that a guy name flex is using material to make his vehicle not flex LOL. True dat, lol
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suave.gif.858fc102f7646e678ee8af7e1fbc41d1.gif

nice work! I usually just slap dat ish on there lol
Lol, wish I could have just slapped it on, but in the end, this shizz is gonna last for however long I own the truck

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suave.gif.858fc102f7646e678ee8af7e1fbc41d1.gif

Lol, wish I could have just slapped it on, but in the end, this shizz is gonna last for however long I own the truck
I have 3 layers of deadener and 2x4s over that lol... should last for a while...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Yup...pretty much looks like my instal on my 07 mega so far. I did 100% coverage on the deadener roof, floor and doors though. Using ensolite as my decoupler and for trim panels. I have mlv on the floor and back wall. Need to do inner doorpanels now. Looks like a pain for them with all the cut outs.

I hear ya on the time required to do it right. I used Dons butyl rope on the roof for any joints.

You can come do my 08 ram

One thing I did though when my carpet was up is I took the dividing wall out that separates the storage compartments under the seat to the floor space

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.