Sound damping on trunk lid

mk808
10+ year member

I recently purchased some of that cheap roofing material from Home depot to sound dampen my car. In my area it's called weatherwrap but doesnt have an aluminum backing. I've already done my doors and love the results. The only thing is it looses some of it's tackiness in hot weather a bit(only the edges come off). I'm concerned about putting in on my trunk lid and having it start to peel and fall off. I was thinking that after applying it to the trunk, I could just spray it over with a bedliner spray to prevent this. Does anyone think this sounds feasible/do-able?

I don't know a whole lot about sound damping material, but if you did that wouldn't it kind of take away from some of the results of putting it on there? I mean i thought the point of using sound damping material was to absorb a little bit of the sound waves to make it sound better as a whole, and covering it up with something hard like a bedliner would just take away those effects. I don't know, but i was thinking about the same thing earlier...

Well, the idea is to add mass so that the resonating freaquency of the panels is lowered. I think truck bed lining on top of sound deadening would be pretty effective. Just make sure the truck bed liner is going to stick to whatever you're spraying it on to. Most of the spray on liners require some sanding first, so keep that in mind. I think it might just be less work to get some sound deadening that is designed for trunk lid use.

I agree with justsayk, it would be easier to just get a good quality deadener then try to do all of that. Unless you are not wanting to spend around $40 to deaden your trunk. Just as long as the stuff you bought will stick, and the bedliner can stick to that stuff then I don't see why it wouldn't work, but as said I think it would be easier just to buy some good quality sound deadener.

Good quality deadner???? I don't think so. They all pretty much use the same materials. I had some Dynamat Extreme and it started to peel off in the Winter. There is no super magic deadner on the market.

It's called gravity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you put anything on your trunk lid gravity tells it to fall, you can't avoid it unless your in outer space.

Also it's common sense, when tar heats up, it becomes flexible......you can't avoid that either. So you either deal with it or you don't.

Peace

Good quality deadner???? I don't think so. They all pretty much use the same materials. I had some Dynamat Extreme and it started to peel off in the Winter. There is no super magic deadner on the market.

When you put anything on your trunk lid gravity tells it to fall, you can't avoid it unless your in outer space.

Also it's common sense, when tar heats up, it becomes flexible......you can't avoid that either. So you either deal with it or you don't.

Peace
So, you're basically saying that any sound deadener no matter the quality will eventually start to fall off?

I live in an area where the weather stays pretty constant ~ 80 degrees. No extreme cold or hot. How did your dynamat hold up around this temp?

If it still does, do you just manually re-stick it back on each time? What do you think about my bedliner idea? Thanks

get some carpet or something and put it over it, than rivit or screw the stuff over the deadner. maybe even just into the deadner it's self. with like some big washers in each corner and your good to go.(unless your putting it directly onto the underside of the sheet metal)

I have used bedliner to cover boxes but i don't think that it would work very well as a deadner. But try it out.
Not really using the bedliner as a deader, rather a sturdy shell for the deadener underneath so it doesnt fall off.

All deadeners are NOT the same. Some have lower melting points than others. Dynamat Extreme is actually one of the better ones for staying put in hot weather under a trunk lid. Having it fall off in winter is highly unusual.

I use Raammat60 from Raamaudio. A year or so ago he had a batch that people complained about getting gooey on hot days and dripping. The temp rating was 170 degrees. He since had the manufacturer modify the formula to get it to 200 degrees. If you assume that all those roofing materials will stay put on a vertical or UPSIDE DOWN application, you may be disappointed.

Roofing materials actually hood up quite well. I have experince in using them in a car and on a roof they are are not a dissappointment
Actually, this material I have does withstand high temperatures fairly well provided the surface is basically flat. I run in to problems when the material must be molded to an indention or a curved surface. Then it will start to peel off the metal.

Peace
If it fell off the surface was probably not cleaned correctly, Dynamat is one of the best when it comes to sticking... it falling off is uncommon. My Dynamat Extream has been holding on for years, and it gets hot as hell in Az. They are all pretty much made out of the same stuff, but they are not all the same quality.

All deadeners are NOT the same.
When the **** did I ever say that all deadners are the same???? Ya thats right I didnt't.......nice one!!! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/handclap.gif.0c301076f534e244f0460706894f19e0.gif

All I said was that they are all pretty much made out of the same materials.

And alpine is right, they may be all made pretty much out of the same stuff, but their quality is different, not to to different, not so much a difference as in deadning the sound itself, but sticking to a roof definately.

People who don't know about dampner need to atleast know that they have 2 choices.....

1. You can either buy some expensive stuff like dynamat or secondskin and never or hardly ever worry about it getting gooey in the sun. Occasionly it will unstick a bit. It all kinda depends on the contour of your trunk lid, the flatter the better. Unlike my my trunk lid contour looks like the ****in rocky mountains so I have a bit more opf a prollem with it in the sun.

2. You can buy some of the cheaper stuff like Peel and Seal, and get the same sound deadning qualities as high end brands, but you may have to re-stick it to ur trunk more often than the expensive brands.

It's such a hard ass decision too, Peel and Seal is $30 and Dynamat is like $100.......all depends on if you wanna go cheap and re-stick it more often or go pricey and not have to worry about it as much. I feel everyones pain.

Back to the original thread.......I think your asking me that you want to put some deadner in between the truck itself and the bedliner. I think that's a pretty good idea. The bedliner should actually the dappen the sound just a tad too. I would say go for it if it's possible.

Peace

lmao ASK 5109, you contradict yourself you realize?

You say " Good quality deadner???? I don't think so." implying theyre qualities are all pretty much the same.. bad.

Yet then you turn around and say " but their quality is different," which if it's different, then there has to be good ones and bad ones and inbetween.

So which is it? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.