Bass without subs?!

KingDiamond
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a 94 Mustang GT and I need trunk space. Currently my sound system is compromised of Boston 5x7 components in the front, Kenwood 6x9s in the rear, and a 12-inch Kenwood W3005 in the trunk. All powered by Alpine amps.

I want to get rid of the sub box in the trunk because it is taking up more than half of the trunk. The bass is good but is there a different method to get the same bass? Aren't there open-air subwoofers or whatever they're called?

I have a 94 Mustang GT and I need trunk space. Currently my sound system is compromised of Boston 5x7 components in the front, Kenwood 6x9s in the rear, and a 12-inch Kenwood W3005 in the trunk. All powered by Alpine amps.
I want to get rid of the sub box in the trunk because it is taking up more than half of the trunk. The bass is good but is there a different method to get the same bass? Aren't there open-air subwoofers or whatever they're called?

If you simply invest some money into a really nice pair of 6X9's and enough power to get them going, you can get some really good bass. My friend bought a couple of them and they made about as much bass as my first setup, which was comprised of 2 10" subs.

What's a nice pair of 6x9s? One of my friends is running two MBQuart 6x9s in his 93 Lincoln Mark VIII and there's a lot of bass, but it's a Mark VIII so there's a lot better soud insulation so I think that helps a lot for him.

Ive never actually heard these, but just thinking about your space issue...You could try a Bazooka Bass tube. Its a sub and amp in one small lilttle package. Like i said, ive never heard or had any feedback about these, but it sure would solve your space problem

From what I hear the Baoozka Bass Tubes are actually pretty decent. It would be something to look into getting, since you already have the amp for it.

Don't get 6x9's to produce bass, at least get a 6" woofer made to play accurate midbass. JL Audio makes them and they handle a lot of power. If not that, then get an 8" woofer and save space.

w not invest in a high powered 8in woofer?

there's a lot to choose from..

u could go free air too

kicker comp can be a free air sub*

I'm going with Kicker RMB8 8" midbass speakers, gonna put them in the rear deck. I'll dynamat the trunk and make sure there are no holes and hopefully it will sound good.

A friend of mine had an alpine 10" type R sub in a 17 litre sealed box, and it played like hell! I would recommend trying that. If you're looking for nice speakers to play alot of bass, u should check out DLS R-1070, which are 10x7 inches, and have been tested to be totally awesome! Check out this link:http://www.dls.se/english/speakers/1070.htm Otherwise i would recommend JBL-T595 which are also known to be great 6x9 speakers

Turn your wheel well into a box with good old fiberglass. i've seen it done and it looks pretty decent. than just put a grill on it and you have your whole trunk. with the 8 your talking about, you shouldn't have a proble, with air volume.

Neura Acoustic sells these Tang Band 6x9 free-air subwoofers for just $32 each. :thumbsupw

These are purpose-built subs, not some pair of ghetto 6x9's. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

You really don't find many actual high end "regular" 6x9's out there on the market, which at least partially explains why yours aren't performing all that well. Most won't.

Marketing department: "Since audiophiles won't be in the market for 6x9's, just throw three or four tweeters on a pole extension, and mark the price up." :p

At any rate, those Tang Band 6x9 subwoofers are 8 ohms each, meaning they will wire up nice and easily in parallel to present a 4 ohm mono load to a little class A/B amp.

They need less than 100w each, which means you should shop for a 50x2 amp to power them with (which would bridge to 200 x1, or slightly less).

Don't be surprised at that low power number - you are installing them free-air, meaning each sub will see a pretty ridiculous amount of cu.ft. of airspace, there's not much air spring providing resistance against cone motion - meaning it won't take much power to reach full output levels.

I believe this is exactly what you need for your Mustang, and it's a drop-in solution.

The subs are cheap, even a high-end 50x2 amp will be cheap, and WalMart sells a complete Scosche 4 gauge wiring kit for $25 that has everything you need to install the sub amp. :thumbsupw

if you really want something comparable to your 12", JL makes a 6" sub that when applied correctly, sound awesome. lots of people use them in trucks and what not. i have heard three of them sound amazing before running off of 300 watts. three or four of them you wouldnt even notice in your car. fab up some good kick panels or somethin if you really want to save space.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.