Sound dampening install on doors

rjay
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I've got a 09 Nissan Sentra and will changing the front door speakers to a Boston Acoustics SC60 component set. Both mid and tweet will be mounted to the speaker adapter plate and will be getting 50-60watts per speaker. Question is will it be suffice just to get the Dynamat Speaker kit that gives you two 10x10 sheets to cover the speaker location or do I really need to do the complete door? Is it that much of noticable difference between doing one or the other? Or do I need to do it at all considering my setup? Thanks

I think most will agree that it's worth it to do it properly. That doesn't mean you have to cover everything with deadener. You do need to try to seal up the holes in the door as much as possible. 30-40% coverage, maybe even slightly less, (deadener) is enough.

I would just avoid buying Dynamat. It's a good product, but you're paying twice as much for the name. You don't need full coverage, I did about 40%. You'll notice the biggest difference by sealing up the holes in the door, and you wanna cover the flat panel areas, since that's what resonates. You don't need to worry about the little curves and bumps.

Yeah I wasn't sure which would the best to go with, just used Dynamat as a reference. I've only used this type of product on one other vehicle, used it in the trunk area. On that one I used Fatmat, figured I would give it a shot since it was cheap and wasn't worth it at all! Some/alot of it would come undone in the extreme heat and cold, of course it could also of been install error as it was my first time using it! Which would you guys recommend, without spending a whole lot? Was thinking between $50-$75 for both doors would cover it?

Yeah I wasn't sure which would the best to go with, just used Dynamat as a reference. I've only used this type of product on one other vehicle, used it in the trunk area. On that one I used Fatmat, figured I would give it a shot since it was cheap and wasn't worth it at all! Some/alot of it would come undone in the extreme heat and cold, of course it could also of been install error as it was my first time using it! Which would you guys recommend, without spending a whole lot? Was thinking between $50-$75 for both doors would cover it?
check out the vendor section for audio technix. he has a sale going on right now for his products. he has great products.

I agree with the other quotes, that you can waste a lot of money by overusing dampning materials. Seal up holes and do a little bit on the doors, really no need to cover doors from top to bottom. Thats my .02 worth, trying to save you money bud.

I used Raamat was the cheapest option when I did my 370Z last year. I did the hatch and doors with deadener and 3 yards of self adhesive foam for around $130. I still have close to half left over. The self adhesive foam is a ***** to work with. It is very stick and likes itself alot. Next time I will prabably go with the regular foam and a can of glue spray.

Like Sacsking said, on that budget, Audio Technix is probably your best bet. It's a great product, and I've used it personally with terrific results. I got 25 sqft and that was enough to do my front doors, rear deck, and trunk lid, and still have some left over. And it is STICKY AS HELL. Just makes sure you wipe down your surfaces with rubbing alcohol first to make sure they're clean and have a good contact to adhere.

Just looked at the site and seems pretty decent. What thickness would you guys recommend the 60 or 80? Also would it be safe to use there B stock and save a few more $$?

Any idea on what made it B stock? Did it have like cosmetic damage or something? Also would the 60mil be good enough?
yeah mainly cosmetic damage, or a roll might have been a hair shorter than 25 sq ft. mine just had the adhesive seeping out of one side, which affected it none at all. yes the 60 mil will be enough. i bought 50ft of it, and i have used half a roll on my front floor, and my quarter panels and will be doing more throughout the car.

experiment ....buy a sheet or a door kit and try it,I promise it wont do chit

and since its not doing much you can keep buying MAT and adding it all over the door

I have done this to several cars,its an overrated MOD imo,I heard plenty of great systems

than had no deadening.........

I agree with above post, I don't have any deadning in my SUV and I think it sounds just fine. I at the same time am not putting the power like some people do to my component speakers up front. Do the 10x10 sheet around your speakers and see how it sounds, that might be all it takes to make it sound good to you. Good luck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.