Sound cutting out at louder volumes??

redcalimp5
10+ year member

Loud 'N Clear
So Cal
Over the past few days I've noticed that when I crank my system towards max volume, my sounds cuts in and out over and over again, and doesn't stop until I lower down the volume to 25 or less(max volume for my listening is 28). I've been able to crank my system at times turned up to 27-28 for about 2 years now, and have never had ALL sound cut off and on like it's been doing. I haven't changed ANY settings or gear out in about 3 months, or a little more.

HU: Alpine 7998

Amp: Alpine 5 Channel- MRD F752

Components: 1 set of 2 way Rainbow CMX Kicks in the front, being run active

Sub: Single 12" Eclipse sub in a sealed box

Any ideas on what might be causing my music to cut out at specifically around/at max volume?

Sounds like the problem I had with my amp. turned out it needed a better ground connection. Maybe your ground has become loose or needs to be re-sanded. Try a new ground location

Sounds like the problem I had with my amp. turned out it needed a better ground connection. Maybe your ground has become loose or needs to be re-sanded. Try a new ground location
Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Yeah, I was thinking that it's most likely the ground has come unsettled, or possibly the RCA's have come loose from the rear of the HU.....but there's really nothing to make that happen. I have of course checked all of the wire connections coming out of the amp, and all are still on securely as they've always been.

Anyone know of any other possibilities? Or is the ground idea the 'winner'?

What's REALLY weird is that I noticed that when I play music that has a good dose of bass kicks in it, it mostly cuts out with rock or rap with a good bit of bass.

So I turned down the sub phase from 13 down to like 6 or 7, and I can turn the HU volume up to 28, and it DOESN'T cut out on me at all.....weird.

Do you have any way to measure your voltage? It sounds like the voltage is dropping on the heavier bass notes and causes the amp to cut out.

Voltage drop due to either a high resistance ground connection or your battery/alternator is on its way out.

My money is on the ground connection, make sure it's a good solid bolt through thick metal, not just a self tapping screw through sheetmetal.

I had the same problem for a while. Turns out my fuse was not all the way burnt so it still got a small connection but cut out at higher volumes. current draw was to big for the sliver of metal still left in the fuse.

it's prolly a clipped signal around 27 to 28, keep it at vol 22 of 30 or run a 1 khz tone and see where it clips then back it down a notch and that's the max u can have your hu without distortion.

Well, here's why it was cutting out.....my inline fuse under my hood melted all to hell.....

MeltedFuze.jpg

Yeah, I'm glad that's all it was, and nothing caugfht fire, or got damaged as a result. I've not since replaced that inline fuse with one that's a little more robust, so there shouldn't be any more issues.

I've definitely learned to check my inline fuse under the hood every few weeks now, just to make sure that all of the connections are still tight on the fuse housing.

I had the same problem for a while. Turns out my fuse was not all the way burnt so it still got a small connection but cut out at higher volumes. current draw was to big for the sliver of metal still left in the fuse.
Yeah, that's what my problem was, except you can see in the pic I posted that the fuse had been burned to slag pretty good. I'm really suprised my system was able to play music at all with the way that fuse block looked.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.