Souldrop's 2016 iM Build

Participant count
  • Participant list

The_Quiet_One
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Sprocket
First off this is likely going to be a slow build. I'm making this build log to hopefully keep me honest and try to get everything in before winter. But here is a taste of things to come.

FOTCFEC_zpsneo8zzrq.jpg

_DSC0560_zps3aep1vng.jpg

The plan is a decent sounding daily driver while retaining stock HU and keeping it under 1500W for now at least...

H/U - Stock

Front Stage

Stereo Integrity TM65 mkII

ScanSpeack D3004 (tentative)

The front stage is currently up in the air. I already purchased a pair of Stereo Integrity TM65 MKII for midbass and am leaning towards scanspeak D3004 silks for tweeters using factory locations with some slight modifications. I don't know about midrange as I prefer a factory look and I'm unsure if I will be able to make midrange pod that looks half decent.

Sub Stage - Single TC9 based 10

I wanted to retain some hatch space while keeping output reasonable. Unfortunately all the woofers I had left were 12"s, so I ended up buying the TC9 10 off of here last week to save a bit of space. The initial plan is going to be test out the 10 in a little over a cube tuned ~27 Hz using a 12" PR, sub to the back and PR up. That will change once I get everything in and start seeing how it sounds.

DSP - Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 - Ideally I would have found a ms8 for reasonable since I find tuning tedious and I hate having knobs to tweak, but the RF does everything I need it to and I found it new for cheaper than most used ones that have popped up recently.

Amp(s) - Alpine PDX-V9 - Well regarded class D 5 channel (when they don't have noise issues out of the box) If I do decide to attempt a 3 way then I have an Alpine PDX F4 I dug out of the closet I can use for the midbass to keep everything matching

I have a decent amount of dynamat and CLD tiles and other installation equipment,, wire, etc that I had been saving for a rainy day, although they are in storage at the moment. I'm definitely going to need to get some additional sound treatment before I start tackling the doors. I would rather only take off door panels once.

I'm hoping to get wires ran and the DSP installed either this weekend or the next. I've still got to wait on some stuff to ship ie TM65 mkII so it'll definitely be the middle/end of Oct before I start making progress on the front stage.

Any thoughts, suggestions, criticisms, or tips are welcome. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Hit a slight hiccup. Got the radio out and looks like I'm going to have to add another wire to one of the harnesses I ordered. It's going to be Friday before I can make progress.

On better news I got some a couple of packages this week.

3 12" PRs. 1 is adjustable and will be used for the TC 10 the other 2 will either be used for a Sundown Neo XBL^2 12" or an IA Death Penalty.

WP_20160928_18_08_01_Pro_zpsuzvuezw8.jpg

Also got some small form factor 1" silks to try and fit in the stock location to tide me over. I decided I want to try and do speaker pods for tweeters and mids off the A Pillar, but that will likely be an early spring project.

WP_20160928_18_08_09_Pro_zps6r9uewen.jpg

Got the test box constructed today and played around with it using a home receiver. I'm excited to see how it sounds in the car. I just need to find time to run wires.

WP_20161001_11_30_09_Pro_zpsw88ywypr.jpg

Not a fan of radiators . Very hard to tune without atrocious delay. I like the stinger sliver rcas.. Drool
The delay is only really bad around tuning, but I'm willing to take a hit to delay with the space savings it offers especially with how low I likely will tune.

This is the approximate model of the current setup:

TC9_PR_zpssuco8vpu.gif

Those RCAs arent Stinger. Esoteric Audio - gold plated:suave:

As far as silver I have 200+ ft of silver coated core speaker wire that I'll be using through. That silver coating increases the DBs and makes the music sound silky smooth:fro:

Last edited by a moderator:
Made some progress this evening. I got amp power wires ran and decided to throw in a hi to lo converter and my trusty RF T1000-BDCP to get me by until I have time to install the DSP. I'm really not looking forward to running RCAs and speaker wire....So the TC9 is officially in and tweaked HU settings to make it tolerable. It's definitely still an improvement over stock.

I was in a rush to beat the sun setting so no pics of the work so far, but I did find it interesting that the fuel line was ran under the passenger side trim pieces.

Now I'm at a dilemma....Should I stick with the PDX V9 or do the alternative...A Helix B4 with a Fosgate T1000-BDCP

WP_20161006_20_31_37_Pro_zps7jwzwpn2.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.