Somewhat confused on subs. Dont wanna waste more money....

rlowride

Florida
So.. I have a 98 town car

big 3. 200 amp alt. 0ga power and ground

ppi black ice amps. 7000.1 and 1600.4

I know they dont do rated or even 1/2

i want to run the ba7000.1 at 1 ohm.

I currently have 4 kicker cvr 12s in sealed enclosures i like the way they sound, but if i went with other subs...

assuming all are in correctly built boxes for the subs, nothing else changed.....

will i or can i find better.... louder ... more output from another sub? 4 other 12s.... 2 or 4 15s... 1 18?

I just dont wanna replace the kickers with something, that will effectively gain me nothing other than saying i have xxxx instead of saying i have kickers.

And here is my issue....i dont want to buy expensive subs just for the name...600 for an 18..lol

no.. i didnt pay retail for the cvrs either..

So lets say i have a budget of 400 to 600 to replace the subs alone... the box not considered...

can i really upgrade to something better?

soundqubed... Ab...skar... sundown.. etc......

will the cheaper lines .. really be any better?

Sealed?

Ported will yield more bass man

Everyone here will tell you to do away with mainstream brands. Sundown, DC Audio, DD, etc just to name a few.

Non mainstream brands are better than mainstream brands.....louder, and more power. Hit up the sundown audio yardsale for really good deals when it comes up.

well.. they are in sealed now.... but assuming i do the correct ported box.. for the kickers... vs any other... will it really yield something better? Other than name recognition?

I just dont want to buy 4 new 12s.. and it sound the same..

im not set on 12s... or 4 of them... I can buy 2 more kicker 12s...

i can do 8 8s. or 10s...15s.. 18s.....

just would rather not throw good money after bad...

does it make sense what im saying?

assuming.. i have the 4 cvrs in correctly tuned ported boxes..

and i buy 4 sq hds2 12s.. have the correct ported box.... everything else being equal

will it improve upon what i have.

or 8 amercian bass 8s.. again.. a lower end model?

well.. they are in sealed now.... but assuming i do the correct ported box.. for the kickers... vs any other... will it really yield something better? Other than name recognition?I just dont want to buy 4 new 12s.. and it sound the same..

im not set on 12s... or 4 of them... I can buy 2 more kicker 12s...

i can do 8 8s. or 10s...15s.. 18s.....

just would rather not throw good money after bad...

does it make sense what im saying?

assuming.. i have the 4 cvrs in correctly tuned ported boxes..

and i buy 4 sq hds2 12s.. have the correct ported box.... everything else being equal

will it improve upon what i have.

or 8 amercian bass 8s.. again.. a lower end model?
I'd honestly put those subs in a proper ported box first before you start switching sh*t around

lincoln trunks have a ton of space.. just the center well.. is

46x26x20

give or take a few on each of those measurements.... then there are the side shelves and upper deck....

I think that is the way i am leaning.. I have already invested in these subs....build a proper ported box.. tuned right... i just keep hearing.. and people telling my kicker is junk....but wont tell me why.... i get x brand iss so much better... but no reasons other than names...

and im only speaking apples to apples

100 dollar woofers in the correct boxes

not 900 12 inch subs in 4th order blow thrus.... then i know there is a complete difference. im talking daily driven basic mid bottom stuff...

lincoln trunks have a ton of space.. just the center well.. is 46x26x20

give or take a few on each of those measurements.... then there are the side shelves and upper deck....

I think that is the way i am leaning.. I have already invested in these subs....build a proper ported box.. tuned right... i just keep hearing.. and people telling my kicker is junk....but wont tell me why.... i get x brand iss so much better... but no reasons other than names...

not 900 12 inch subs in 4th order blow thrus.... then i know there is a complete difference. im talking daily driven basic mid bottom stuff...
kicker is kicker... BUT they are still subs, and they are in your possession, make due with what you have. I've been to plenty of bass meets where a lot of guys get decent output out of kickers in a properly designed box on crappy hifonics zues power. Wouldnt you love to make those guys eat their words and give your setup a lil respect? Its not the subs a lot of times, its the install that matters. Right now you basically have a bleh whatever install with those sealed boxes.

Here's a box design for you. Build a square box thats 20x 23 x 46 with two baffles and buy a 10" sonotube

SAKRETE 10 in. x 48 in. Concrete Form Tube-65470006 - The Home Depot

cut it to 14 inches length attach it and have the 4 subs face up and have port firing to the rear. You'll have a 9 cubic feet net enclosure tuned to 33hz. Thats 2.25 cubic feet per sub. This box will work with most of your future sub upgrades too and you can always change the port easily. Box shouldn't cost more than 80 dollars in materials but will give you amazing output results with a future proof box ready for future upgrades.

^^Yup...

All install dependant. Wouldn't be funny after you remade the box to be ported you beat out the bigger boys with more expensive systems and non mainstream brands?!

Oh yes it can happen!

kicker is kicker... BUT they are still subs, and they are in your possession, make due with what you have. I've been to plenty of bass meets where a lot of guys get decent output out of kickers in a properly designed box on crappy hifonics zues power. Wouldnt you love to make those guys eat their words and give your setup a lil respect? Its not the subs a lot of times, its the install that matters. Right now you basically have a bleh whatever install with those sealed boxes.
Here's a box design for you. Build a square box thats 20x 23 x 46 with two baffles and buy a 10" sonotube

SAKRETE 10 in. x 48 in. Concrete Form Tube-65470006 - The Home Depot

cut it to 14 inches length attach it and have the 4 subs face up and have port firing to the rear. You'll have a 9 cubic feet net enclosure tuned to 33hz. Thats 2.25 cubic feet per sub. This box will work with most of your future sub upgrades too and you can always change the port easily. Box shouldn't cost more than 80 dollars in materials but will give you amazing output results with a future proof box ready for future upgrades.
THANKS!!!

Will try this weekend to get it done.... But let me ask.... how much room does the port need to breathe? secondly... the 2 baffles... You are talking about the sub mounting. not internal?

Will the subs fit in there correctly.. staggered?.

Thank you!!!!!

THANKS!!!Will try this weekend to get it done.... But let me ask.... how much room does the port need to breathe? secondly... the 2 baffles... You are talking about the sub mounting. not internal?

Will the subs fit in there correctly.. staggered?.

Thank you!!!!!
The subs will be staggered diagonal-ish from eachother. Yes just the sub mounting. The port needs 4-6 inches to breathe, I made the box less deep for this purpose.

If you need the whole 4 inches then you can go with 20 height, 46 inch wide, 22 inches deep, the port will be 16 inches long instead and your specs will be 8.2 cubic feet net, around a little more than 2 cubic feet per sub tuned to 33hz.

Make a cardboard template the size of the box you're building to make sure it fits through the trunk opening.

As others have said, you'll probably be happy with just the ported enclosure vs sealed. It's worth a shot if you can build it yourself. Cheap and easy.

I would concur that if you're just dealing with entry level, big-box store brands are comparable to the low end lines of the forum boner brands.

I'd say that building/testing new boxes would be your best bang for buck in getting louder from where you're sitting

Going from what you have to another brand of 12's won't be much louder if at all but they might sound better at lower frequencies. If you can fit 4 15's that will be louder or it should be if you do it right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.