Somethings Not Right

MakkMar10

Bangin on a Budget
SoCal
Y'day at my lunch break i tried setting my amp with not 1 but 2 different DMM's. 1 was the POS I got from Harbor Freight, the other was my jobs ol' industrial *** 1. Both had me set in the same spot, about 1/3 of the way up, so I kno they're not defective. Anyway my target volts were 54.7 so I set the amp to 54v, my bass knob was unplugged. Wen I went to play a song, The Dam Sub Barely Moved WTF. So I plugged my bass knob back in and set my gain back at 1/2 and BANG, the shyt was jumpin. Hopefully I can get to a shop this weekend to get my gains set properly, till then I'll be in Clip City....

All HU settings were neutral/0'd, bass boost off, LPF all the way up on amp.

Did I do sumthn wrong? Where does the bass knob factor in wen setting gains?

Sub = SoundQubed HDC3 18 d1

Amp = zxs1500.1 1500w @2ohm

Y'day at my lunch break i tried setting my amp with not 1 but 2 different DMM's. 1 was the POS I got from Harbor Freight, the other was my jobs ol' industrial *** 1. Both had me set in the same spot, about 1/3 of the way up, so I kno they're not defective. Anyway my target volts were 54.7 so I set the amp to 54v, my bass knob was unplugged. Wen I went to play a song, The Dam Sub Barely Moved WTF. So I plugged my bass knob back in and set my gain back at 1/2 and BANG, the shyt was jumpin. Hopefully I can get to a shop this weekend to get my gains set properly, till then I'll be in Clip City....All HU settings were neutral/0'd, bass boost off, LPF all the way up on amp.

Did I do sumthn wrong? Where does the bass knob factor in wen setting gains?

Sub = SoundQubed HDC3 18 d1

Amp = zxs1500.1 1500w @2ohm
1. The amp that you are using is way small for that sub(especially at 2 ohm), so the subs not gonna move that much anyway. Not bashing just saying.

2. When you set a amp with a DMM you are suppose to leave the bass knob plugged up and turned to full power(on the bass knob), then go to amp and use the DMM to set the gain on the amp that way when the knob is maxed out it wont go over what you set it at and cause the amp to possibly clip signal.

1. The amp that you are using is way small for that sub(especially at 2 ohm), so the subs not gonna move that much anyway. Not bashing just saying.
2. When you set a amp with a DMM you are suppose to leave the bass knob plugged up and turned to full power(on the bass knob), then go to amp and use the DMM to set the gain on the amp that way when the knob is maxed out it wont go over what you set it at and cause the amp to possibly clip signal.
I kno the sub can take a clean 2.5k daily, but I figured that 1500w wud get it moving a lil. I can't look at a 2k amp till the end of next month SMH....Anyway I honestly haven't tried setting it with the bass knob plugged. Il try an see wat i get out of it in the AM. Thanx tho....

I kno the sub can take a clean 2.5k daily, but I figured that 1500w wud get it moving a lil. I can't look at a 2k amp till the end of next month SMH....Anyway I honestly haven't tried setting it with the bass knob plugged. Il try an see wat i get out of it in the AM. Thanx tho....
But thing is your amp wont do 1500 at 2 ohms. its rated 1000 at 2 ohms and those amps are know not to do rated(again not bashing just saying). But anyway, did you try to play it with the bass knob unplugged? it could be shorted or something.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

wait are you talking about the kicker amp?

But thing is your amp wont do 1500 at 2 ohms. its rated 1000 at 2 ohms and those amps are know not to do rated(again not bashing just saying). But anyway, did you try to play it with the bass knob unplugged? it could be shorted or something. 

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

wait are you talking about the kicker amp?
Yea....I have a zxs1500.1, the birth sheet says 1546 @ 2ohm. It may be the amp tho, how wud I kno?

Yea....I have a zxs1500.1, the birth sheet says 1546 @ 2ohm. It may be the amp tho, how wud I kno?
Never mind lol... I seen Zx1500 and didnt pay attention to the "s" on it lol. That amp should get the sub moving. Kickers amps are good sh1t. try it with out the knob plugged in

Never mind lol... I seen Zx1500 and didnt pay attention to the "s" on it lol. That amp should get the sub moving. Kickers amps are good sh1t. try it with out the knob plugged in
Thts wat Iv always heard, kicker makes gud amps....Iv had this 1 for a while tho. It was always boxed and put away. This is the first it's really seen any action. Like I said tho, with the knob unplugged an amp set to 54v. I got nothing, but I'll try like u suggested. Knob plugged in and turned all the way up....then set my gain

I think it's the fact I'm using my Bluetooth and getting my tone from an app SMH....I'm such a noob
yea i never thought to ask if you using, a Cd, Aux, Usb, Ipod, Bluetooth Etc... lol... i know for a fact to use Aux you will have to turn up the vol like +10 to match the output of USB and Cd's lol. Atleast on my player you do.

yea i never thought to ask if you using, a Cd, Aux, Usb, Ipod, Bluetooth Etc... lol... i know for a fact to use Aux you will have to turn up the vol like +10 to match the output of USB and Cd's lol. Atleast on my player you do.
might want to use the source level adjuster to even things out so theres not a huge volume spike when switching sources.

So shud I use the aux? I'll try tht also, but I think I'm gud till I get to a shop. I'm off Fri Sat and Sun's, an as of now nor my amp or sub are getting hot. Iv still yet to smell the glue from my coil, so I don't think to much is going on in there

So shud I use the aux? I'll try tht also, but I think I'm gud till I get to a shop. I'm off Fri Sat and Sun's, an as of now nor my amp or sub are getting hot. Iv still yet to smell the glue from my coil, so I don't think to much is going on in there
yeah man just trust your senses. Do 10-20 minute full blast sessions and if neither sub or amp are heating up, you arent at clipping yet. If its not getting louder than stop, you are at clipping, however, if it still gets louder, then slowly increase and do full blast tests and monitor heat and voltages. You dont need no d@mn DD-1 lol.

yeah man just trust your senses. Do 10-20 minute full blast sessions and if neither sub or amp are heating up, you arent at clipping yet. If its not getting louder than stop, you are at clipping, however, if it still gets louder, then slowly increase and do full blast tests and monitor heat and voltages. You dont need no d@mn DD-1 lol.
Hahaha....thts wats up. Iv yet to push it full tilt I'm at 20/40 on my HU and almost satisfied, almost. Saturday will make it one week Iv had the sub. I think it's due for some abuse. BTW are you close to Chris, I'm wanting to take a trip ur way next month. Do some beaching and bassing....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.