Looking for 2 amps (preferably old school)

brafferty

CarAudio.com Elite
idaho
so im looking for an amp to power 2 Type R 12's 2 ohm (i was looking at a soundstream Ta1.2000 at 1300 RMS) but feel like it might not be too reliable and would like help here. And same goes for my speaker amp, i was looking at using a alpine pdr f50 (85 rms x 4) but heard it wont put out anything near 85, and would like to amp 4 polk db 6501 comps properly

i have a like new ppi 1800 amp. its not old school but puts out good power and would push your sub nicely... its in the forsale section.
Could you link me to it? saves searching for it haha, and im glad to hear that the alpine puts out, i was told it wont do more than 60% of that 85, and i want loud everything

I have a couple OS MTX 4 channels. RT4240 in really good cond, and a RT4180X that's like new. Both are bench tested and make more than rated power at 12.7vdc. PM me if you are interested, or want any more info ....

and im glad to hear that the alpine puts out, i was told it wont do more than 60% of that 85, and i want loud everything
If you want it loud you should know there is little audible difference between 50W RMS and 85W RMS. I'm guessing whoever told you about that Alpine amp doesn't trust it because it's small. Old school amplifiers appeal to a lot of people, but new amplifier designs can be very good sounding and much more powerful than anything old school while being a fraction of the size. We have a 1,000W amplifier in our showroom that's the size of a sheet of paper, plus it's less than 2" tall. Technology.

If you want it loud you should know there is little audible difference between 50W RMS and 85W RMS. I'm guessing whoever told you about that Alpine amp doesn't trust it because it's small. Old school amplifiers appeal to a lot of people, but new amplifier designs can be very good sounding and much more powerful than anything old school while being a fraction of the size. We have a 1,000W amplifier in our showroom that's the size of a sheet of paper, plus it's less than 2" tall. Technology.
While I do agree with most of this. In this particular case, the OS MTX amp is better than this newer alpine... Half the distortion at rated rms power, and 100db(4240) and 118db(4180) sig to noise vs 87db. And only like 1" bigger. So much for newer technology ... Ive had all of them on a test bench. The new Alpines struggle to make rated power at 12.6v, while the MTX amps will all make over rated at 12.6v, and even more at 14.4v ....

And I'm not one of those people that is scared of small amps, so that is not the issue here. Just straight real world results ...

yeah ive never heard the differnece between 50 watts and 85.... only going from 12 rms of an HU to 22rms off of it
Yea, OP, general rule of thumb, all else staying the same, it takes twice the power to make a 3db difference in output. And a 3db gain is what is considered a noticeable change in volume to the human ear.

3db= noticeable gain in volume - takes 2x the power to achieve

10db gain = twice as loud - takes 10x the power to achieve

Yea, OP, general rule of thumb, all else staying the same, it takes twice the power to make a 3db difference in output. And a 3db gain is what is considered a noticeable change in volume to the human ear.3db= noticeable gain in volume - takes 2x the power to achieve

10db gain = twice as loud - takes 10x the power to achieve
So are you saying that i wont be able to tell much of an actual difference with 85 RMS? still a beginner here haha

im also looking at a zapco ST-1500XM but am confused how they rate, can anyone tell me what 2 subs at 2 ohms would put out of this? and for speakers a focal but i need to look into that more, think this is better?

So are you saying that i wont be able to tell much of an actual difference with 85 RMS? still a beginner here haha
If you listen to two different amps with only 10-20 watts rms difference "you" will not hear it as our ears cannot detect slight changes.

On a meter or audible test via machinary will detect it as thats what its made for.

So in short if you want to hear a difference double the power of whatever you have or choose.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

If you are going from 22 w RMS, you will hear an audible difference in volume output at around 45-50w rms. But from 50 to 85, maybe, maybe not ...depends on amps, speakers, doors, acoustic deadening, and your hearing, ect ....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.