Explain the use of gains

Participant count
  • Participant list
So, I have a Hifonics ZRX 1000.1D and a JVC KD-X310BT. So the HU preout is 2.5v. So I set the amp near or at 2.5v. The amp goes from 0.2v to 6v. So, what do people mean by your gains are to 'high'? I guess that I'm asking, why does it sound like the bass is quiet when I turn the knob to say 2v and louder when I turn it to 4v? If it's 'high' shouldn't it be to loud? For example, say I feel like my sub is pounding to much. So I set my gains at ~2.5v. It sounds just right, but that's considered to 'high' to some people. So, if I set it to let's say, 4v and I have 2.5v preout. Is that considered 'low' or 'high'? How does that work?

tl;dr why is 2.5v considered to high of gain when their is little to no sound the higher you go?

Wow lol. Your head unit is 2.5v so then u find your highest un clipped volume of your head unit. Then u match your gain on the amp to your head units output.. Either get a dd-1 or a OScope.

I don't think your description is exactly correct.

The GAIN knob on an amp is sometimes called INPUT LEVEL. They are the same thing, just labelled differently.

Your amp labels it LEVEL. It goes from 6v on the left to 0.2v all the way to the right.

The volts marked on the LEVEL knob are not the amp output, it is the amp INPUT voltage you are matching from the head unit.

On your amp, when the LEVEL knob is turned all the way to the right (0.2v) then the input gain is MAX because it is expecting a very weak input signal.

When your LEVEL knob is turned all the way to the left (6V) then your input gain is MIN because the input signal is already really strong.

Jepalan did a good job explaining.

leave it at 2.5V if you're happy. that's a safe input level and is matched to the maximum output from the head unit. you only need tools if you want to match HU output at lower HU volume levels.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.