Solutions please

Participant count
  • Participants list

Raph

CarAudio.com Newbie
UK
I prefer to make phone calls while parked as my car is quite noisy and on returning home I will often stay in the car listening to the end of an audiobook chapter or song with the engine off.
I've bought a Pioneer DEH-S520BT but my car has no ignition ACC position. Position 1 is steering unlock and 2 is 'ignition on' meaning that I must either make bluetooth calls and continue listening with the engine running or have the ignition and dash lights on while possibly heating the coils up.
Not a problem, I'll simply split the constant memory feed to power the set and everything will be fine.
Sadly this isn't the answer as my Pioneer doesn't switch off. It stops working when the off switch is pressed but the buttons remain ablaze like a Christmas tree and the time displayed, unless power is cut.
Is there a clever solution more elegant than sticking an aftermarket on/off switch somewhere under the dash and with minimal loom surgery ?

All help appreciated.
The car is an S1 Elise.

Nothing is wired to turn on BUT I see this is the same ignition switch as that used in the Vauxhall Corsa B which means the column unlock position should also be an accessory position.
I must decide whether to rewire the ignition switch or go for a hidden under dash on/off.
Thanks for drawing my attention to this.

Last edited:
Nothing is wired to turn on BUT I see this is the same ignition switch as that used in the Vauxhall Corsa B which means the column unlock position should also be an accessory position.
I must decide whether to rewire the ignition switch or go for a hidden under dash on/off.
Thanks for drawing my attention to this.
You may have just created a solution for other diyers.

Short of dismantling the S1 Elise ignition switch and adding a position #1 switched live up to the head unit I'd recommend splitting the constant memory live and using it to power the unit while making sure you have a radio that actually shuts down completely when the off button is pressed.

Short of dismantling the S1 Elise ignition switch and adding a position #1 switched live up to the head unit I'd recommend splitting the constant memory live and using it to power the unit while making sure you have a radio that actually shuts down completely when the off button is pressed.
You might also consider using the illumination wire combined with the ignition wire and then use your running lights to maintain power. This way you don't have to worry about turning it off when you're in a hurry and you can use the radio like normal without running lights while the car's actually on. The downside will be that running lights might use more power than the radio, but it's a matter of how responsible you are at turning it off as to which will do more damage to your battery in the long run I guess. It will also trick the head unit into either day or night mode which isn't ideal. The way around this could be a relay or transistor but it's getting pretty complicated at that point.

You might also consider using the illumination wire combined with the ignition wire and then use your running lights to maintain power. This way you don't have to worry about turning it off when you're in a hurry and you can use the radio like normal without running lights while the car's actually on. The downside will be that running lights might use more power than the radio, but it's a matter of how responsible you are at turning it off as to which will do more damage to your battery in the long run I guess. It will also trick the head unit into either day or night mode which isn't ideal. The way around this could be a relay or transistor but it's getting pretty complicated at that point.

That is an excellent suggestion but I opted for the memory live with a hidden switch and inline fuse.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.