Tips for running power wires under vehicle

Participant count
  • Participant list

jt4x4

CarAudio.com Exclusive
ND
I'm not interested in opinions about whether or not to run power wires outside of the cab. I've already decided on that. I'm looking for pointers from people who prefer that route (holyfuck I hate puns....). I ran a 4g power in the frame of my 4x4, but that has a c-channel frame, whereas my Explorer has a fully boxed frame.

What I'm looking for is tips to get from the battery out of the engine compartment; do you remove fender liner and go above that?

What kind of fasteners have worked well? One-hole zipties and self-tappers? Stick-on cable tie mounts? Any others?

What works well for fusing when the wire disappears from sight and accessibility as quickly as possible?

What kind of loom or protection do you use? Or lube... had to get in front of that one... wow this is never-ending... ok stop!

I will obviously avoid heat, moving parts, and sharp edges.

Thanks in advance.
- Joe

I've never seen this done on anything other than trailered competition vehicles. Definitely fuse before the wire goes out of sight and double up from whatever you think you need to secure it. I suppose if you really cared to be extra safe you could get some of that flexible conduit (like wire loom but steel) to run the wire through and that should keep you safe from almost anything.

How did you fish through boxed frame? Did you drill holes to get into it?

On my Lightning the frame wasn't boxed so I just ran it down the C channel. But on boxed frames they still have access holes. Just use rubber grommets to make sure it doesn't rub through the wire jacket.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.