so why aren't there more 2ohm speakers?

Beatin'
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MI
You got all these 2 and 4 channel amps with 2ohm ratings......why no 2ohm speakers?

I realize many cars come with 2ohm speakers from the factory. So why isn't the aftermarket doing the same?

Sound quality, more ohms doesn't exactly mean better sq but don't really see any high end 2 ohm speakers jus sayin. But yeah u have two ohm ratings if you want to run more than 1 speaker per channel and sacrifice sq. For more watts

There are several that do, Harman (JBL,Infinity), Polk MM ,powerbass, the dcr on a lot are around 2.7ohm if you hook a dmm to them

It's a marketing angle for some companies to use a nominal impedance of less than 4 ohms. To the average nondiscriminating ear it doesn't really matter. If everyone was doing it there would be no reason to advertise it.

but in all honesty the lower the ohm rating usually the sh1ttier the sound...
I never understood this. If you look at subwoofers, lower ohm rating meant lower QTS and QES, which means better cone control and sound quality.

I never understood this. If you look at subwoofers' date=' lower ohm rating meant lower QTS and QES, which means better cone control and sound quality.[/quote']
The QES of a driver is about is about the least important thing I can think of when it comes to SQ, unless we are talking about matching the QTS of the driver and using the system to compensate, that is important. However to say a high Q driver inherently sounds worse than a low Q driver is incorrect.

Also why changing just the impedance of a driver will have an effect on the speakers QES, BL still dominates the issue. If you want a speaker with a low Q, use a strong motor, making the driver .25ohm isn't nearly as effective and very impractical for many reasons. Shoot the lowest Q drivers you'll likely find are mostly pro audio speakers which are almost all 8 or 16ohm.

most all of the specs, as far as thd, thd+n, damping factor, head room, channel separation and so on are usually taken at 4 ohms.

Now if you have an amp(just an example) that is 500 w rms @ 4 ohms with .08%thd+n and has 1.5db of head room and a damping factor or ...200..well now load that amp at 2

ohms. For the most part, the thd will have a "big" jump, the head room will nearly be cut in half...if not more and you can loose up to half of your damping factor as well.

Plus the efficiency of the amp will go down a good bit as well. (not all amps will have the same effects as bad as others will...class a/b amps seem to do well vs others but still lose out some into lower loads..)

most all of the specs, as far as thd, thd+n, damping factor, head room, channel separation and so on are usually taken at 4 ohms. Now if you have an amp(just an example) that is 500 w rms @ 4 ohms with .08%thd+n and has 1.5db of head room and a damping factor or ...200..well now load that amp at 2

ohms. For the most part, the thd will have a "big" jump, the head room will nearly be cut in half...if not more and you can loose up to half of your damping factor as well.

Plus the efficiency of the amp will go down a good bit as well. (not all amps will have the same effects as bad as others will...class a/b amps seem to do well vs others but still lose out some into lower loads..)
THD goes up but overall remains very low.

Damping factor is not even worth looking at, it is a useless incomplete spec when looking at amplifiers

Head room.... power doubles so you get an extra 3DB of head room compared to 4ohm (assuming power doubles).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.