So my installer used 20 gauge speaker wire.....

There is nothing wrong with that wire. 16g wire is plenty for 100w x 4. I personally love 5 conductor wire (that is like 8 conductor) it makes installs so much simpler and neater in most cases. The 5 conductor is sweet cause you can use the 5th wire for remote. People who use 12g on mormal speakers are doing nothing but wasting money. You guys with 2500w sub amps and using 8g on your subs is a waste as well, 12g is more than enough with that power. As for it not being loud enough, I run 3300w rms of power and you wouldnt think I ran more than 500w, but talk about head room. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

There is nothing wrong with that wire. 16g wire is plenty for 100w x 4. I personally love 5 conductor wire (that is like 8 conductor) it makes installs so much simpler and neater in most cases. The 5 conductor is sweet cause you can use the 5th wire for remote. People who use 12g on mormal speakers are doing nothing but wasting money. You guys with 2500w sub amps and using 8g on your subs is a waste as well, 12g is more than enough with that power. As for it not being loud enough, I run 3300w rms of power and you wouldnt think I ran more than 500w, but talk about head room. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
is that 16 gauge wire in the pics?

they are on page 2

I really feel thats like 20-22 gauge

did you word that last sentence correctly?

what do you mean by headroom?

i doubt if it's 16awg

is that 16 gauge wire in the pics?
they are on page 2

I really feel thats like 20-22 gauge

did you word that last sentence correctly?

what do you mean by headroom?
headroom means that you can just upgrade speakers that require more power later on without the need to change amp.

that is 18ga wire....you have no real reason to charegeback unless you requested something else which you did not.....btw that wire is not cheap by any means......and that is a pdx5 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif so you are def not getting 100 x 4

after the gains were adjusted by me and my multimeter I was getting 20V

sqrt(100watts x 4ohm) = 20 = 100RMS w/ 0db test tone

PDX 4.100 Kenwood DDX712

JL Components & Coaxials

M850 soon to be AQ2200D w/ 2 12" type r

not shitty components my any means

it honestly might be 24 gauge
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

now judging by your irritation you obviously would like to have new speaker wire ran to each of your doors which i guarantee was not done using speedwire so you need to clarify what you want next time you go have some work done because it is obvious that you did not.....because that looks like a pretty standard albeit poorly done amp install......and btw out of curiosity whty the pdx 5?

i doubt if it's 16awg

headroom means that you can just upgrade speakers that require more power later on without the need to change amp.
18g? I dont know either from the pic but even 22g is fine for 100w a wire. As far as the "headroom", that means I have so much power in reserve that the dynamics of music really shine thru. The amps have so much reserve power that when there is a musical peak you know there is a PEAK. I am totally about SQ so my take on things is differnet than many on this board. Personally I run 900wrms just on my front stage and that is in a 2 way set up, most guys would say I am crazy pushing my speakers like that, they are 10000000% fine if you know what your doing and listening to. I also run 2200wrms on a set of IDMax 12's and you would never know they were behind the rear set of my trunk car. When I say 2200wrms.....this amp has proven itself time and time again to do double that rating too. If I want to get funky with the sub control and can rattle the crap out of the car.

18g? I dont know either from the pic but even 22g is fine for 100w a wire. As far as the "headroom", that means I have so much power in reserve that the dynamics of music really shine thru. The amps have so much reserve power that when there is a musical peak you know there is a PEAK. I am totally about SQ so my take on things is differnet than many on this board. Personally I run 900wrms just on my front stage and that is in a 2 way set up, most guys would say I am crazy pushing my speakers like that, they are 10000000% fine if you know what your doing and listening to. I also run 2200wrms on a set of IDMax 12's and you would never know they were behind the rear set of my trunk car. When I say 2200wrms.....this amp has proven itself time and time again to do double that rating too. If I want to get funky with the sub control and can rattle the crap out of the car.
Neat. Interesting to see someone else's point of view.

How are you able to run 900rms to your front speakers?

What is your setup if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks!

its 18g ive used several times before

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
now judging by your irritation you obviously would like to have new speaker wire ran to each of your doors which i guarantee was not done using speedwire so you need to clarify what you want next time you go have some work done because it is obvious that you did not.....because that looks like a pretty standard albeit poorly done amp install......and btw out of curiosity whty the pdx 5?
x2. Its going to your factory wires behind your headunit. It is ample to carry your 100 watts.

If you did a chargeback on me I would go to your house and steal back my ****. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.