So Many Choices

Started a new thread. It's just one of many myths that "seem" like they make sense but in reality have little basis for truth. By no means am I calling out any individual here, it's hard to see through the fog of misconceptions that are propagated into popularity. But I will say 100% that a driver with greater typically plays better musically compared to a driver with lower throw. But SPL level is different.
So you're arguing that xmax doesn't matter because subs can unload below 20Hz? I get that. And we're not talking about home theater applications, we're talking about music, where most bass is in the area of the sub bass region in which higher xmax does indeed produce higher spl.

Context matters.

OP, I would do a single Ascendant Audio Havoc or Mayhem 15, both will take the power, both will sound amazing and be really loud doing it. If you are set on two 12's though, Fi SSD's are great, The Soundqubed HDS300, CT Sounds makes some great subs too, although I don't know a lot about them.

So you're arguing that xmax doesn't matter because subs can unload below 20Hz? I get that. And we're not talking about home theater applications, we're talking about music, where most bass is in the area of the sub bass region in which higher xmax does indeed produce higher spl.
Context matters.
Context indeed lol. I think we are misunderstanding each other, because I'm not talking music. I'm talking SPL. Burps and stuff. I agree 100% that music requires good Xmax, but what I consider SPL has no connection to music. Or even to "sounding loud" for that matter.

I apologize, as my argument was that for an SPL competitor, XMAX is rarely the spec that matters most between one driver and other to produce higher SPL. But music or "loudness" is a totally different ball game.

So what I'm down to, does anyone have input on the tantric md's? I know everyone is going to don't but why not run hdc3's? So I'm stuck between those two or sa's or hds3's. I'm going with a pair of 12's if that helps any.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.