So Many Choices

It's up in the air but I think 2 subs will have moar spl.
One 15 will have about 40% more cone area than two 10s. And you could likely get a single 15 with more xmax for the same money, which would mean even more output.

But the most important thing to consider is the box, regardless of the subs you're using. Do you plan on building or having built, a custom box?

One 15 will have about 40% more cone area than two 10s. And you could likely get a single 15 with more xmax for the same money, which would mean even more output.
But the most important thing to consider is the box, regardless of the subs you're using. Do you plan on building or having built, a custom box?
I would be building it, learned that a long time ago.

I have looked at all of these subs, I'm just trying to get peoples thoughts on what they think I should run? I was really thinking about going with Fi x's but I'm not sure a pair will take 2500 watts? Also I've been throwing up the idea of trying to fit 12's in my trunk, would that change your recommendations? 

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 AM ----------

Unless you are running a dozen 14V batteries you probably won't see more than 1000 watts per sub over a few notes. You can get better power handling if you are willing to pay a bit more, but with those price tags you are getting a good deal. As for another set of 10s with more power handling look into sundown X10s.

Tantric is a great value brand as well. And err body knows what they are capable of. For 12" options,tantric will be a good bet as well as a pair of SA-12s.

Don't do one 15" if you can do two 12s. Similar box size but more coil to dissipate heat with multiple drivers. If you are between two 10s and one 15 that's ur call. I used to run single 15s in my "quiet" setups with great results. If you decide on one 15" look no further than the SP4/ SSA Evil, or a SSA Zcon if you're trying to stick to budget.

Wait wait wait. Did you just say Xmax=output??? You must know that's...

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bsflag.gif.21f42eccd34b7d1eb1608fb1b59b69c3.gif

But he is right that 95% of the attention should be on the proper enclosure design. Figure out what you have to work with after port and wood and then select your driver or drivers

Unless you are running a dozen 14V batteries you probably won't see more than 1000 watts per sub over a few notes. You can get better power handling if you are willing to pay a bit more, but with those price tags you are getting a good deal. As for another set of 10s with more power handling look into sundown X10s.
Tantric is a great value brand as well. And err body knows what they are capable of. For 12" options,tantric will be a good bet as well as a pair of SA-12s.

Don't do one 15" if you can do two 12s. Similar box size but more coil to dissipate heat with multiple drivers. If you are between two 10s and one 15 that's ur call. I used to run single 15s in my "quiet" setups with great results. If you decide on one 15" look no further than the SP4/ SSA Evil, or a SSA Zcon if you're trying to stick to budget.
A pair of sundown x's is too much $, but I will most likely go with two 12's and budget is my biggest issue, I've read on almost every single driver talked about so far. I would love to run a set of sundown x's but I don't have 700 bucks to drop on them. I've been really looking at the c2 treatcon 2, soundqubed hds3, americanbass xfl (if I can get it under 200) and sundown sa and they would be a pair of 12's.

I think and I am no pro but more xmax would make the spl levels higher at a lower feq but not higher over all.
With the proper box design more xmax equates to higher air displacement across the board so unless the motor force disappears more xmax is louder but since some subs lose power quick as the coil leaves the gap higher xmax wont be benificial

With the proper box design more xmax equates to higher air displacement across the board so unless the motor force disappears more xmax is louder but since some subs lose power quick as the coil leaves the gap higher xmax wont be benificial
Makes sense to me.

If you have an argument, I'd love to hear it.
Started a new thread. It's just one of many myths that "seem" like they make sense but in reality have little basis for truth. By no means am I calling out any individual here, it's hard to see through the fog of misconceptions that are propagated into popularity. But I will say 100% that a driver with greater typically plays better musically compared to a driver with lower throw. But SPL level is different.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.