So I installed my W7 and....

dumpin907
10+ year member

bout money
AK
i made the box to JL specs on their website. which called for 1.75 cubes at ~32hz. im giving this 12 w7 is required amount of power, ~750 RMS and it doesnt seem like the output is where it should be. i think that this sub would have more output in the H.O box designed for it but i dont know why? i've heard the w7 12 in the H.O box before and it seemed louder. whats so special about the H.O box and why does it seem like the w7 is louder in it? and yes, my box is almost 100% accurate w/ cuts and port area and what not. anyone on here have this same problem?

and no, i cant upload pics right now, at work FTL

well my amp is the zx 2500.1....running at 3 ohms of course, and yes i set my gains. im giving this sub the right amount of power thats no question. and yes i think the H.O box is bigger the 1.75 but their website says 1.75 for the w7 and my box is probably like 2.0 cubes.

i kinda think they put a bad box reccomendation on their site so that when you make the box it doesnt sound as good as their H.O box so that you go buy their H.O box for like 300$ cause they are stingy like that (3ohm single coil) and and their 1000/1 plays at 1-4 ohm loads so you have to buy their amp kinda gimik thing

how much different does it sound compared to the one you're comparing it to? are you sure you're comparing it to the same speaker not a 13w7 or something? and i'm sure you know everything sounds different in different cars. there's many variables you have to look at system setup wise. maybe your hopes were set to high because of all the hype?

how much different does it sound compared to the one you're comparing it to? are you sure you're comparing it to the same speaker not a 13w7 or something? and i'm sure you know everything sounds different in different cars. there's many variables you have to look at system setup wise. maybe your hopes were set to high because of all the hype?
well dont get me wrong, i wasnt expecting a SPL subs output like my atomic apx15 in 6 cubes (after displacements) with 2500 watts. i knew it would be nothing like it cause its a SQ woofer. the bass is really clean and hits pretty good. my friends think its decently loud but i have heard a w7 12 in the H.O box in a extended cab truck and it sounded louder than mine does it my jeep (hella more airspace). so i donno what the deal is... maybe im just used to SPL subs that make my doors flex? and it was like 4 months ago when i heard the W7, before i had my APX so maybe thats why i think it was loud?

the H.O box is 4.3 cubes and they reccomend 1.75 cubes after displacement if you wanna build your own box which doesnt make sense to me... i think they give a bad enclousure reccomendation on their site so that you wanna go buy the H.O box that your friends have you know? fvckin JL

have you talked with any shops about this? check and see what they say about jl's boxes.
i just tried callin JL tech line but they are closed, as are most of the local shops here in alaska, (all 3) and they all **** JL's dick all day. everytime i go in there they are talkin about how JL w7 is the best woofer ever made and all this BS. but ill see what they say tomorrow when they are open.

sell it and buy something worthwhile.
yeah, by no means am i a dick rider when it comes to JL, i rec'd this sub on a trade. the only way i would buy one is if it was stolen and being sold for dirt cheap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.