Help with Explorer build.

miker
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Wayzata, MN
02' 4door limited Explorer

OK. How much wire will I need to go from the front to the back?

The battery terminals.. Will I need new ones?

What kinda of Alt does it have? How about the battery?

HU??? What will I need.

Might have more questions as I go.. Those are just some for now, because I don't have the car yet, but I want to start shopping around.

your probably going to need about 20' of power wire..same goes for rca's. Go to the crutchfield website and you can get all the stock info and see what dash kits and wiring harness you will need..etc.

Well I'm happy that I bought long RCA's for my previous car //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for the advice. I'll go check it out.

Alright.. Looking around I found the stuff on Millionbuy for about 12$ (wiring kit and dash kit)

That leaves me with wiring.. Will 20ft be enough, no doubts??? Because Millionbuy has 20ft of 4g.. I'm not going to have a ton of money to put into this.. otherwise I would love to spend 80$ on some nice 1g.. Unless, do you think I will NEED 1g wire? It will be supplying about 1300w.

02' 4door limited Explorer
OK. How much wire will I need to go from the front to the back?

The battery terminals.. Will I need new ones?

What kinda of Alt does it have? How about the battery?

HU??? What will I need.

Might have more questions as I go.. Those are just some for now, because I don't have the car yet, but I want to start shopping around.
if you havent gotten the explorer yet get a 2001 or older one with a sunroof. one of the loudest suv's out there:)

It only took me 13-15 feet to get to the back of my explorer. Stock alt is 90 amps i believe. I would get a second battery and you should be fine with that alt. Get new battery terminals, and the battery could be anything.

It only took me 13-15 feet to get to the back of my explorer. Stock alt is 90 amps i believe. I would get a second battery and you should be fine with that alt. Get new battery terminals, and the battery could be anything.
what year?

the one he wants is a 2002. (3rd gen) It has a 130A.

it depends on the car really.

some explorers (ie mine) have a 95a alt. others have a 130a unit (my buddies). either way we both run ho alts now, so meh. but those are the options. also, as far as wire goes, bassaholic is right, it doesnt take too much at all. if you can find the kicker pkd1 kit off ebay for like 100, it pretty much gives you everything you need to wire it up besides wire for your speakers and rca's. everything else is included including a fuse holder, fuse, d-block etc.

I have my RCA's, and speaker wire, distro block and fuse.

Just need a main power cable. I'll try and find 20ft of 1/0g at a price I can afford.

I really like the look of the 02'> models, and is more about my ride than the system, so I will not be getting a "vintage" model.

Thinking about a DD HU in the future, right now I've got to stick with my current HU and just get a 6$ dash kit.

130a alt? that's great to hear //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. Like I said I will be using approx 1300w, Will I defiantly want 1/0g wire?

appreciate all the advice and responses.

Hmm looked on Million buy and found 10g 500ft for 50$ lol, could I make like 10runs of that and be ok? lol Just kidding.

Just need a main power cable. I'll try and find 20ft of 1/0g at a price I can afford.

I really like the look of the 02'> models, and is more about my ride than the system, so I will not be getting a "vintage" model.

Thinking about a DD HU in the future, right now I've got to stick with my current HU and just get a 6$ dash kit.

130a alt? that's great to hear //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. Like I said I will be using approx 1300w, Will I defiantly want 1/0g wire?

Hmm looked on Million buy and found 10g 500ft for 50$ lol, could I make like 10runs of that and be ok? lol Just kidding.
I forget where but some one actually made thick cable out of old speaker wire they had laying around like that. Anyways whats your budget for wire?

seems like you got a good start. i always suggest the kicker kit and assume the poster doenst have anything to start with. in your case i wouldnt be buying the kicker kit as there is no point.

you dont need, 1/0 wire for that setup either, but it couldnt hurt you, especially if you think there might be a chance of an upgrade in your future.

if you feel like buying the 1/0, knukoncepts has good prices IMO. good luck

do NOT get an explorer with a sunroof if you plan on putting in a decent system. just dont. trust me.
sunroofs are louder //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

for him since its a small system it really isnt going to matter.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.