Sneak peak of my next build: UL12's, PB XA-3000d...

jibberjive
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
SLC, UT
So I've been complacent with the last system I built for my car (SX15 and Cadence Daytona 1600), so I got out of the audio scene somewhat.

DSCN2227.jpg

But now I'm going to be selling that car and I've bought another one that I'm doing alot of engine stuff to, so weight is a factor. So here's an incomplete list of my plans:

-Pioneer AVIC-90BT

-2 Critical Mass UL12's

-Powerbass XA-3000d

-Undecided on front components since my CDT CL-61A's w/ TW25 tweeter won't fit

-Undecided on rear fill (everyone's worst enemy, I know)

-Alpine PDX-4.150

-Redtop relocated to trunk (to help with my car's weight balance for the track)

-Upgraded alty (not sure who from yet)

-I'm going to build a custom fiberglass enclosure for the subs on one side of the trunk and a fiberglass facade to cover the amps/batt and stuff on the other side. All will be covered in OEM-esque carpet and have to be easily removable (except for the battery) for when I hit the track.

MikesStuff040.jpg

MikesStuff037.jpg

MikesStuff039.jpg

Any comments welcome.

Looks great. Good luck with the install. Gotta love a bunch of new stuff.

One thing though, make sure you ground that head unit well though. Mine has caused ground loop issues through the factory harness and even other grounds. I may have to go to the amps myself. Depends on your vehicle I'm sure but just check for engine whine before putting the dash together.

Looks great. Good luck with the install. Gotta love a bunch of new stuff.
One thing though, make sure you ground that head unit well though. Mine has caused ground loop issues through the factory harness and even other grounds. I may have to go to the amps myself. Depends on your vehicle I'm sure but just check for engine whine before putting the dash together.
Thanks for the tip.

pics of the car?
Nice stuff going in.
salty.jpg

P1050019.jpg

281151050_h4JM8-O.jpg

Why spend so much on bass when you won't have an adequate front to keep up with it?

That's the mistake most people here do is worry too much about bass. Your tweeter covers by far the widest range of any speakers, then your mid and your subs cover maybe 2-3 octaves.

I spent less than $100 on my sub stage and couldn't be happier. It performs just as well as a sub stage I spend about $500 prior to this.

I hope it works out, thats nice gear but I would have approached it components first instead of subs first.

Why spend so much on bass when you won't have an adequate front to keep up with it?
That's the mistake most people here do is worry too much about bass. Your tweeter covers by far the widest range of any speakers, then your mid and your subs cover maybe 2-3 octaves.

I spent less than $100 on my sub stage and couldn't be happier. It performs just as well as a sub stage I spend about $500 prior to this.

I hope it works out, thats nice gear but I would have approached it components first instead of subs first.
Not sure what your basing your comments on because I haven't even decided myself what I'm doing for the front stage, let alone told you about it.

Also, I know what I'm going for as this is not my first system (I used to compete). This is going to be a SQ capable setup (I can always turn down the subs and these subs and sealed enclosure are definitely capable of great SQ), but also have the ability and power to crank it up to be way too bass heavy to even resemble SQ when I want (and that's were the big SD, long throw and 3k watts come in). I wouldn't say that a person's preference is ever a "mistake", because some prefer to concentrate wholly on bass and even leave their front stage stock, while others would throw in super high quality components and call it a day (I'm not either of those extremes, but I can understand and respect them.)

The physical characteristics of the system were very important as well because I'm spending way more on performance mods than I am on the system and I didn't want to weigh down the car terribly (that's why I'm so stoked on the neo subs, but not so much on the big amp.)

PS, the last sub setup I bought I spent less than $100 on the sub (not the SX15 setup in the pic above) and I was completely satisfied with it for what I wanted from it:) Different setup, different goals, different budget;)

birch box? MDF would defeat the purpose of going "lightweight"
and a second battery, i would look into Batcap's.
-I'm going to build a custom fiberglass enclosure for the subs on one side of the trunk and a fiberglass facade to cover the amps/batt and stuff on the other side. All will be covered in OEM-esque carpet and have to be easily removable (except for the battery) for when I hit the track.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

The majority is going to be fiberglass because both the front and rear of the box is going to have alot of curves. I may use some baltic birch for some of the longer flat areas though, thanks for the idea.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.