• Participant list

2023 LTZ

CarAudio.com Exclusive
USA
Impala 3.6l
240a alt
0ga fused and grounded
T1500 running 2 800w 12s @2ohm + a 4ch.
installed a Jy2k cap on 0ga thinking this may eliminate my vd on large bass hits. They’d hit the 10s and 11s momentarily on big bass stuff.
After cap it did steady it but it still gets to 12v momentarily.

Isolating a deep cycle to additionally compensate this seemingly monstrous yet momentary draw?
I mean, idk what next..

I’m curious if having an isolator between a 34 series interstate flooded start battery and a deep cycle flooded interstate would be a compatible match for my charging system and if so is this going to add more resilience to my charging system? Still dropping below 12 while driving on heavy bass.
It seems silly to have spent $300 on a 2k faraday cap and now $200 more in an isolator, not to mention the $300 start and $400 deep cycle. I feel I’m missing something, beside the $. Wiring is all crimped, connections are solid. It was suggested to verify the accuracy of my onboard vm but accurate or not, this system has killed 4 new interstate batteries.
The audio shop has a 12k faraday for $1200. Illl go backward before I do that.

I'm not running a cap on my car...320a alternator 50ah starting battery 100 ah in the rear both agm...those are for a bass3k and a ts440x4 with minimal voltage drop

Did you do a big 3? (You didn't say that's why I ask)

Wait. You are running flooded batteries? Not agm? That could be a big part of the problem. If the batteries aren’t the problem, you have a bad connection somewhere.

Idk. I checked continuity on each wire as I assembled this. It has basically no resistance but shows .3 ohms which i believe is the leads. It did this same thing on the p1000 amp w the p3 12s and w the oe alternator. Yup flooded. I did toast a new agm which was my last battery. I think it’s the current essentially lightning bolting through the batteries to feed that mono amp which toasts them.

I still only have one. Just got the 2kf cap and although it’s helping a little I’m wondering if that 98ah deep cycle on an isolator is going to cure this strain or these symptoms of vd.

So you only have the one battery installed and you're getting the voltage drop? If I'm understanding right...you need a second battery...you don't necessarily need an isolator to do that though...my rear battery is grounded to the frame in the back with the power wire running pos to pos between batteries...I've had zero issues like that...

Yes sir, one battery. My understanding is that the batteries have to be the same type so they don’t drain or pull at each other’s charge when off, hence the isolator for having different batteries.

Agm is the way to go front and back you get more usable capacity out of the same size agm vs flooded...it sounds like your vd is from essentially running off the alternator instead of using the alternator to refill the "bank"..if you're gonna run different types of batteries with an isolatoit... sure its a quality onethat can handle the amperage you're pulling through it...

It’s a modest 2k being pulled.
I have done no calculations to determine if battery capacity is enough only a guess at putting in a 240a alt but same symptoms w the oe 170a.

1k is iabout the upper end running off stock electrical...and if you don't have the available power for your amp then it really won't hit rated power...it's cliche as hell but it takes power to make power...having a second battery should help cure your vd...I really doubt my 320a alternator could keep the voltage up with just the starting battery alone in my car...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...