Smoked my new Memphis SClass Sub - WHY???????????

XPerties
10+ year member

I got a SClass Shallow mount (15-SC12D4) and had it wired to a sony 800w amp (RMS around 250) for about 2 months but then a few days ago I got a JL e1400d mono amp rated at 500RMS which is exactly what the Memphis sub is rated at. I had it wired to 2ohm based off this diagram:

1_4ohmDVC_2ohm.gif

I checked and double checked wiring and it is right:

...and local stereo shop tuned the amp to these settings:

When I told them I wasn't happy they said it sounded like the sub was under powered so they ordered one of the new memphis line amps and I was going to stop by there Tuesday but last night while sitting in the parking lot of my job I was video taping the voltage drop I get to post that to another thread when all of a sudden...BAM...sub smoked. Smoke was every where.....

Start video at 1:35, sub fries at 2:19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2v2TKPGv8Q

Any suggestion? Would the JL really bake this sub? Is it possible the sub was just a lemon? I have 0 gauge running from battery on a 150amp fuse to dis block, 4 gauge going from disto block to JL amp.

u where geting bad voltage drop ,sending a clipped signal to your sub and u had your deck up to high i guess. u mess with the gain of the amp?? did u have any level turn on for your deck and the bass control on your deck did u have it up?

It probably just got overpowered, according to their site the max RMS your sub can take is 500 watts, shallow-mount subs aren't known to take a whole lot of power before they start to complain. I've blew woofers from simply too much power, not clipped, no bad dips in voltage...just simply too much power for the coil or suspension to handle.

Do you have to go with a shallowmount? If not then you want something beefier.

Do you have to go with a shallowmount? If not then you want something beefier.
I'm in a 05 Ford F150 but to answer your question no. I took the sub back to local dealer and they are sending it back to Memphis and going to give me full credit toward a new SE SEX sub, they are a local dealer. So I'll pay the difference which will be around 100 bucks. Right now I've trying to put together a sub enclosure for the SE that will sit nicely on my rear seat and forward fire toward front between pass and driver side. I have a post in the enclosure section. Hopefully they will have my sub in by the weekend.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.