Memphis capaciter exploded

I highly doubt the OP is coming back.

That said, he never said he installed a capacitor, rather, one inside the amp blew after he hooked it up and powered it on 10 seconds later.

I’d chalk it up to an electronic item failing as they sometimes do, perhaps a manufacturing defect / shouldn't have passed QC, add cheaply made quality to it which doesn’t help, or something we may never know since we weren’t there to inspect the wiring.

Even hypothetically, if he had an external capacitor installed, that would not blow up based on powering the amp up. No amperage difference, none of that. You will see sparks if you charge or discharge one without a resistor, but very unlikely to blow one up unless wiring it backwards. Tons of people charged them by pulsing the power cables to the battery or just installing a fuse, not the proper way to do it and I do not recommend that at all, but never seen any failures.

At any rate, I agree with those that said it was likely a dud from the factory, a random failure, or old and the caps were past their life span. If it's a new amp, of course just warranty it.
You ever make it over to Columbus Car Audio on Morse Rd?

You ever make it over to Columbus Car Audio on Morse Rd?
The short answer is no. The local shop prices were insane so I shopped for bargains online even nearly 20 years ago now. I passed that shop hundreds of times though, use to live around there. I always felt bad going in places if I had no plans on ever buying anything, so I generally don't.

Longer optional read:
Only been in one audio shop in my life that I can think of and it was if I recall, Stereo Limited on Morse road not too far from the Columbus Car Audio, that was maybe 2000 give or take a year or two. I seem to remember them having a large acrylic floor you could walk on with amps under it. It may not have been a Stereo Limited location, my memory is a little hazy on it, but I really thought it was. It closed a long time ago. I thought Stereo Limited had 3 locations back then, but Wayback archive only shows two, though that might have been around the time it closed (all locations have been closed for a long time now).

Even more recently I helped take my sisters car to Columbus Car Audio on E Main ST in Reynoldsburg to drop it off / pick it up to get the windows tinted, but no reason for me to go inside that location either.

The short answer is no. The local shop prices were insane so I shopped for bargains online even nearly 20 years ago now. I passed that shop hundreds of times though, use to live around there. I always felt bad going in places if I had no plans on ever buying anything, so I generally don't.

Longer optional read:
Only been in one audio shop in my life that I can think of and it was if I recall, Stereo Limited on Morse road not too far from the Columbus Car Audio, that was maybe 2000 give or take a year or two. I seem to remember them having a large acrylic floor you could walk on with amps under it. It may not have been a Stereo Limited location, my memory is a little hazy on it, but I really thought it was. It closed a long time ago. I thought Stereo Limited had 3 locations back then, but Wayback archive only shows two, though that might have been around the time it closed (all locations have been closed for a long time now).

Even more recently I helped take my sisters car to Columbus Car Audio on E Main ST in Reynoldsburg to drop it off / pick it up to get the windows tinted, but no reason for me to go inside that location either.
I was up there from 2015-2017 and got some nice pictures of those really large RF subs at CCA. I was in a place that had an acrylic floor, I don't remember the name. There was a place just off of 161 as well back in the early 90's right near Meijer that sold some great car audio gear.

I am 51 years old
And the most important thing you've learned in life up to this point is to get offended on behalf of other people on the internet in the attempt to virtue signal to a bunch of random strangers on a car audio forum?

**** right off with that. If there's a Chinaman reading this that's offended they can come e-cry about it themselves. There's 2 billion Chinese people in the world and each and every one of them is free to come along and create an account to stick up for themselves if they really care if some stranger on a message board with under 50 active users calls them names.

Also @Popwarhomie .... this thread should be dead and buried.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...