Smell coming from subwoofer(s)

LulzChicken
10+ year member

Hey guys, for the first time in my life I smelt my speaker or speaker (not sure if it's them both or just one of them) start to burn or voice coil burning. It was after I played them pretty loud for about 3-5 minutes or so. I decided to take the car out for a quick drive and I turned it up a bit and smelt it again. I'm trying to decide what to do here. They still play and sound fine, but am I in for some trouble in the long run? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif What do you guys recommend me do?

My setup is as stated in my signature below

You're probably smelling chicken?
Just kidding, you're probably clipping, turn down the gain a bit, and take it from there.
I also have a bass knob. My question is... If I turn the gain halfway up on the amp, and then halfway on the bass knob, will the amp's gain basically be 1/4 up? The bass knobs with the gains confuse me.

That is correct if it is a remote gain knob (very different from a bass BOOST knob) . If it is a bass boost knob that could be the problem.

I also have a bass knob. My question is... If I turn the gain halfway up on the amp, and then halfway on the bass knob, will the amp's gain basically be 1/4 up? The bass knobs with the gains confuse me.
looks like someone needs to learn fractions in 5th grade again or you're just mentally retarded.

looks like someone needs to learn fractions in 5th grade again or you're just mentally retarded.
You must not have understood me.

The gain on the AMP is halfway.

The knob is halfway.

Which means, the knob if turned halfway will produce half of the half that it's already turned equaling 1/4. Don't you ever ****ing insult me again.

It is a BASS knob, excuse me. What does that mean verses a gain knob?

A bass boost knob will turn up the bass boost, which at higher volumes will clip the signal and cause that burning smell. Check with Kicker and see it it is a gain knob or bass boost know. If it is a bass boost knob, ditch it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.