Skar audio good amp? and wiring question!

Hey all I think I have decided on a Skar Audio 3500 monoblock amp. I watched a few vids and it seems to do rated, does anyone here have an opinion?

For the wiring question - I want to run this 1 channel amp at 2ohms to 2 subs. Do I want d2 or d4 subs? And if I decided to only get 1, d2 or d4?

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

Oh and of course whats the basics of how /if they can be wired that way.

get wolfram 3k and whatever u get run at 1 ohm because after "box rise" u only really get power amp does at 2ohm anyway so if u run at 4 2 ohm u only get power amp does at 4 ohms

I just got my Wolfram 3k amp, but not installed yet. Waiting for the 4 ch amp to get to me then it'll be an amp swap overhaul, long overdue. I will suggest the Wolfram myself, as it's the best deal on the market right now.

Makes no sense to me to get a 3500 watt and run it @ 2 ohms...your basically using 1/2 the amps power. More importantly, what is your electrical like? Can it support a 3.5k amp?

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

I just got my Wolfram 3k amp, but not installed yet. Waiting for the 4 ch amp to get to me then it'll be an amp swap overhaul, long overdue. I will suggest the Wolfram myself, as it's the best deal on the market right now.

Makes no sense to me to get a 3500 watt and run it @ 2 ohms...your basically using 1/2 the amps power. More importantly, what is your electrical like? Can it support a 3.5k amp?

What's box rise? I like the idea of 2 ohm for longevity reasons
"box rise" is really impedance rise mostly a concern for larger ported boxes., if u run at 2 ohm the impedance changes every split second depending on freqs the in the songs u play and how much subs moves so it maybe 3.8 then 4.1 the 4.5 etc so u normally get the power amp does at 4 ohm.. if u run at 1 ohm u get the power amp does at 2 ohm of course these are guesses not exact, it maybe 1.8 as 1 guy said his was, it maybe 2.5 (depends on subs and box).. this is why some most guys here "over power" subs i ran over 900rms to a 600rms pioneer now 1150rms to a 750 rms fu 750 (some run 3k to 2 8's).. as far as making amp last longer i get that point and peeps will tell u i was at 2 ohm so long they called it "gramp ohm" here until 2 months ago.. however if u run at 2 ohm with max high to get power u want not much diff in that and running at 1 ohm with gain set low (thats called having headroom, like having a car that can do 200mph but never running faster than 130).. like they said if u pay say $600 for amp and run at 2 ohm only getting 4 ohm power u are just using $200 worth of the power lol.. whats subs are u thinking about we can help u find amp to run at full power, maybe the wolfram 3k and set gain low i can link u video shows u how to set gain for certain power range

did u not know?

Of course i did! I was telling you to get an Sa12 from the yardsale instead of the fu 12..It was fun watching your transition into modern technology tho.

I remember when you first joined and said 2 ohm was the best. lucky you stuck around long enough and "seen the light" lol

"box rise" is really impedance rise mostly a concern for larger ported boxes., if u run at 2 ohm the impedance changes every split second depending on freqs the in the songs u play and how much subs moves so it maybe 3.8 then 4.1 the 4.5 etc so u normally get the power amp does at 4 ohm.. if u run at 1 ohm u get the power amp does at 2 ohm of course these are guesses not exact, it maybe 1.8 as 1 guy said his was, it maybe 2.5 (depends on subs and box).. this is why some most guys here "over power" subs i ran over 900rms to a 600rms pioneer now 1150rms to a 750 rms fu 750 (some run 3k to 2 8's).. as far as making amp last longer i get that point and peeps will tell u i was at 2 ohm so long they called it "gramp ohm" here until 2 months ago.. however if u run at 2 ohm with max high to get power u want not much diff in that and running at 1 ohm with gain set low (thats called having headroom, like having a car that can do 200mph but never running faster than 130).. like they said if u pay say $600 for amp and run at 2 ohm only getting 4 ohm power u are just using $200 worth of the power lol.. whats subs are u thinking about we can help u find amp to run at full power, maybe the wolfram 3k and set gain low i can link u video shows u how to set gain for certain power range
Close, but not quite. At least you didn't butcher it horribly like usual.

Amplifiers put out AC current. We use the word impedance rise because we are referring to an AC circuit. The impedance of the voice coil changes as it moves up and down with different amounts of windings in the magnetic gap. It's important to understand for all enclosure sizes and types, not just "large boxes".

The impedance peaks at the vent resonance with a ported box as well as the resonance of the driver when it has been placed in an enclosure. Bass Box Pro 6 does a pretty good job of calculating the impedance curve. The lowest point of the impedance plot is the resonance of the enclosure itself. Ideally the impedance curve should be as flat as possible. Impedance is highly dependent on the driver and enclosure as well as how the driver/enclosure combo reacts to the environment that it's placed in.

This article explains it pretty well: The Rise to Power

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.