New Installation - 2x SKAR Audio SDR-12 /w Rockville DB15

Participant count
  • Participants list

Kielthalin

CarAudio.com Newbie
GA
Just curious if I got everything I need for an install. This is just a daily driver vehicle, a small sedan. Just looking for suggestions.
2x Skar Audio SDR-12 Dual 2ohm (600Wrms each) - Final Impedance = 2 ohm (series/parallel) in a 2.5 ft^3 Sealed enclosure (each sub in separate 1.25 chamber). Wired using 8AWG speaker wire to the amp. Might have to use 12AWG from the speaker box terminals to the amp if the 8AWG won't fit. I think I had that problem last time I used the amp.

Rockville DB15 amp - 2ohm rating is 1500W. I think these only dyno to around 1200W? This amp is from another setup. I have 1/0 OFC in a 17' run. The amp has a 150A fuse and I will be clamping to see the draw once setup. Curious if I will need another run of 1/0.

The alternator is stock, rated to 120A. Big three completed /w 1/0 bare copper cables (welding wire).

If the electrical give me issues (lights dimming etc.), other than running another 1/0 cable to the amp, what else could I do?

Just curious if I got everything I need for an install. This is just a daily driver vehicle, a small sedan. Just looking for suggestions.
2x Skar Audio SDR-12 Dual 2ohm (600Wrms each) - Final Impedance = 2 ohm (series/parallel) in a 2.5 ft^3 Sealed enclosure (each sub in separate 1.25 chamber). Wired using 8AWG speaker wire to the amp. Might have to use 12AWG from the speaker box terminals to the amp if the 8AWG won't fit. I think I had that problem last time I used the amp.

Rockville DB15 amp - 2ohm rating is 1500W. I think these only dyno to around 1200W? This amp is from another setup. I have 1/0 OFC in a 17' run. The amp has a 150A fuse and I will be clamping to see the draw once setup. Curious if I will need another run of 1/0.

The alternator is stock, rated to 120A. Big three completed /w 1/0 bare copper cables (welding wire).

If the electrical give me issues (lights dimming etc.), other than running another 1/0 cable to the amp, what else could I do?
What battery do you have?

Man.. 12 ga wiring shouldbe just fine for the subs and then to the amplifier or use 10ga. You should have plenty of supply for the 1500 watt amp with 1 run of 1/0ga OFC with the Big 3 installed. I do not think you will have any issues as long as you do a solid 1/0 ga ground to frame for the amplifier. If you have an issue with dimming.. simply place an agm battery in the rear just before the amplifier supply.

Sounds like everything is covered but the enclosure. Sealed is about the most limiting alignment for those subs. Oh... they'll knock but not really sub.
Food for thought once it's installed and those lows are not what you expected.
Strong signal, enough electrical and enclosure is vital for a strong substage. A strong substage usually makes or breaks a system.
I'd go ported for better lows if you have the space.

I usually build my own enclosures and didn't have the time to make another box, just happened to have the dual 12" box laying around. I see a 3.5 ft^3 tuned to 35hz would give me around a 8db gain over the sealed at 43Hz (where the sealed falls off) and play down to 30Hz easily. Though, the ported looks to be a bit boomy for these subs. Defiantly could fit that box size in the trunk. Here is what I modeled in WinISD:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...