Side post busbar options?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have found several good looking busbars, but nothing designed for a side post. All I see for side posts are L adapters that aren't supposed to work, or side mount ends. I do have an end in sight for my system, and I'm almost there. I would like to avoid getting a new battery

other side of town, but gives me a reason to go to portillos. Thanks shredder2
Im sure their not the only game in town... what's metro Phx?... 45 miles east-west?

More possibly?... seems like 50 to me... lol

Man I cannot stand side post. Every vehicle I've had had it and I retrofitted it to top mount. The s10 is due next, this summer.

Roughly sure, as long as were not talking traffic. Besides this is the nice time of the year. Give me an excuse to get out, I wont complain. I'm north Phoenix, so its only about 30 minutes away. Ive found a few places closer. I can make some calls in the morning. The ones I have found look like they are 1/2" thickness though. Have to see what I find, how much it costs, and how much of a finished piece they will make.

Spent a little time searching today, and found these

https://squareup.com/store/boat-steering-solutions-llc/item/terminal-tamer

View attachment 26557187

View attachment 26557188

They both have the post hole centered to even the weight.

Here is what I would really like to find.

View attachment 26557189

The measurements are pretty close. If I do this, I will try to make it 2 1/2" x 3" x 5/8". Threaded with a 3/8-16" center hole to just use a copper bolt with copper bolts to attach and 3/8" threaded connector holes for the cables to attach. I found where this site claims they have a machine shop where they make these themselves. I emailed them with no response yet. Will call when I get a chance while they are open. $50 & $60 seems a little high to me, but really have no clue if that's fair.

The hunt continues.

Lmk if you want something made...it doesn't have to be copper, aluminum works just as good. My machine is open for a new work "D

Well, for anyone following this, boatsteer got back to me. They could only make them in 1 1/2" wide and quoted me over $200. For that price I would just get a new battery with top mounted terminals and be done with it. I measured up what I think, and without knowing too much about how much room in between thread holes I am going with a size of 5/8" x 2" x 2.5". I am planning to use a bolt to mount and not a post. If I had wanted to use a post, I think I would increase either side by 1/2". I looked around and found the bars in the size I am looking for. Found the aluminum on amazon for 2 for $15 shipped. Found the 2 bars 5/8" x 2 x 2.5" out of copper off onlinemetals.com for $39 shipped. I have no clue what I am doing, and have never done anything like this so I ordered the copper.

Boomin Tahoe: I appreciate the offer. No clue how this will go, but I think I have the tools, and this is something after sleeping on it I want to try to make.

I've watched some youtube videos, read up a little bit, and will update when I get started on these. Thanks.

Ok....lmk if you need some assistance or help or ideas. I'd be happy to help ya. The guy that tried doing what your about to accomplish with his copper buss bars didn't do so well so I came in at about the right time and offered my help to him.

I got some aluminum stashed away just to let you know...

I appreciate that. I plan on getting some lubricant to use while doing this on the drill press, and I'm going to do the threads slowly by hand. I am still uncertain if I will try to thread the center, or try to find a couple partial threaded bolts I can mate with the center. I would probably do a partial thread, if I could find them. Copper bolts seem difficult to find, or at least pricey.

I have a thread/die set I used from Harbor Freight Tools. You might try finding copper bolts at HD, Lowes, Ace hardware, or your local hardware store.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.