Side post busbar options?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I am trying to come up with a way to connect the positive cables at the battery terminal. I have two factory 1/0 awg wires connecting up to the + battery (both 5/16 lug hole). I have the HO alternator currently connected to the distribution block (that is 12 inches down from one of the two previously mentioned) with a 1/0 awg cable, but would like to connect it directly to the terminal. I also have a 4th 1/0 awg power cable running to the rear for amplifiers.

I have a GM side post battery that is rather larger, and would rather not spend the few hundred to move the posts. I tried the skyhigh copper 4 spot battery terminal

Sky High Car Audio 6 - 1/0 or 4 Gauge Flat Battery Terminals

but there is minimal room. If I were to use that I would mount it sideways to fit but with how I drive my pickup, (speedbumps are best at 10mph or 31mph) I can not use them for fear of them coming loose and making contact with the sheetmetal. As of now my back option would be to insulate the metal with a rubber sheet where contact might happen.

What I would rather do is something like this.

Having trouble posting a picture, but here is what I would like.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buss-Bar-grounding-1-4-x-1-x-1-Solid-1-4-thick-copper-bus-bar/162675364992?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2748.l2649

I would rather have a simple square busbar with a center hole I can install in the post hole, so the bottom holes are not too difficult to use, and so the weight will be even. I would rather have the center hole be the same 3/8 threaded so I can just thread a bolt through this busbar tightened all the way, and then thread it tightly into the post hole. Then have 1 hole at each corner so I can use the 4 holes for 1 wire each. I am hoping to find a solid copper piece, without measuring it, I would think about 2 -3" square.

I found one on ebay, but the guy said he lost them. I have access to a drill press, but the quick searches I made said drilling through copper is difficult to not screw up. Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or ideas, or sell something like this? Would this be something any machine shop could easily and quickly make? Thanks.

I did search, and found a couple threads asking something similar, but I know what I want to do, and those weren't answered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just find a place that sells the raw metal you'll probably have to cut it yourself doesn't matter with what it could be an angle grinder or even a sawzall with a metal cutting blade just make sure you clamp it if you use a Sawzall drill the holes where you want them and then Bolt the wires to it the only difficult part I would see would be if you wanted to thread the holes so you could just use the copper piece as the nut instead of bolting it to it with a nut and bolt but if that's the case buy a cheap tap set and thread the holes I have made them out of aluminum for a few people it's not that difficult when I get to that point with my build I will probably make mine out of copper and that is exactly how I'm going to do it except mine won't be little square pieces right at the battery they'll be longer strips more like an actual busbar or you could just use an actual busbar find a close by place you could mount it run two runs of 0 guage to the bus bar and then everything else out make sure you fuse the 0 guage power wire going into the bus bar if you do it that way and if you have runs going to the trunk or the back of the vehicle from that busbar I would fuse those as well so if the line shorts the fuses can kill power from both battery Banks

Copper is picky when it comes to cutting it....it likes sharp tools. That said, I have made some buss bars for someone last summer....

UsJr5ze.jpg

Nice work on the bus bars bro you're definitely right about having a sharp fresh blade for copper
Being a machinist has it's advantages //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Luckily for me, I'm capable of manual work too, not just CNC. It's an absolute must to have sharp drillbits when drilling copper....found that out. It def doesn't like a little wear on the flutes. And yes that's my mill machine in my garage //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif in case anyone wondered

Seriously though you should consider making custom pieces for members for a few bucks could put some serious cash in your pocket at times busbars and custom metal hardware is not cheap

I was looking around for copper squares. Honestly I have no idea how thick it needs to be though. I have some carbide tipped bits, and a tap and die set. I have access to a drill press. Not sure how difficult it would be but I would rather have it threaded to just bolt the holes instead of trying to have a nut on back, (that would be real tight if I could avoid that).

Yeah those look nice boomin. I'm trying to find something about half of that, my system is not that big. Any chance you're still making those?

Seriously though you should consider making custom pieces for members for a few bucks could put some serious cash in your pocket at times busbars and custom metal hardware is not cheap
It's been mentioned to me before. Since there's already a bunch of custom battery terminals from all sorts of vendors out there, I'd be competing against them, plus their finishes compared to mine is overall unbeatable...I don't have a CNC and is expensive to own one.

I was looking around for copper squares. Honestly I have no idea how thick it needs to be though. I have some carbide tipped bits, and a tap and die set. I have access to a drill press. Not sure how difficult it would be but I would rather have it threaded to just bolt the holes instead of trying to have a nut on back, (that would be real tight if I could avoid that).
Yeah those look nice boomin. I'm trying to find something about half of that, my system is not that big. Any chance you're still making those?
Try looking on ebay, or local metals distributor, preferably one that sells to public, not just businesses alone. Just be aware, pure copper is heavy... I think each rectangle ones I had done, weighs 8 lbs maybe 5 I dunno. I can do something for ya if your interested tho. In your case, I would think 3/4" thickness is plenty enough.

It's been mentioned to me before. Since there's already a bunch of custom battery terminals from all sorts of vendors out there, I'd be competing against them, plus their finishes compared to mine is overall unbeatable...I don't have a CNC and is expensive to own one.
see that could be your niche you could make them slightly cheaper without the fancy finish I think a lot of people would bite to save the dough sounds like this guy would buy some off of you hell I might too

see that could be your niche you could make them slightly cheaper without the fancy finish I think a lot of people would bite to save the dough sounds like this guy would buy some off of you hell I might too
It's def an idea....something I've considered. I could easily come up with my own design and sell it. I got access to aluminum...one of the easiest metals to cut.

I checked ebay, that was where I found the one, and it was a guy who said he just happened to make those for someone as a one-off last year and had extras, (sounds like what you said). I couldn't find any businesses online, but I could spend some more time trying. Ive only got 256 amp alternator (with a 300 amp fuse), and 3 amps pulling about 2,000 watts through 1 1/0 awg wire with a 250amp fuse on it, plus the factory connections. I did try the skyhighaudio busbar with 4 post, and yeah definitely a heavy little piece. I think that was designed for top post. I could add a post if that would be easier, but I don't think it would be. The square design with the center post hole is just to balance the weight out. I'm in Phoenix, so I'm sure theres got to be something in town I could find what I am looking for. I would definitely be interested if you are able to make something. Obviously not only do you know just what I'm looking for, you have already done it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.