should I seal off the holes in my door panels

Steveopevo
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
there are several holes in the sheet metal of my door panel and I know it's gotta be hurting the midbass response. Is it safe to plug up the holes or do they need to stay open to bleed off moisture or something? I don't have the $$ to buy dynamat right now but was thinking of expanding foam or some other cheap way.

if you spray expanding foam in there you are ****ed lol. One time i used like 1/8 paneling and cut out all the shapes and siliconed the peices over the holes so I could pry it back off if I had to

if you spray expanding foam in there you are ****ed lol. One time i used like 1/8 paneling and cut out all the shapes and siliconed the peices over the holes so I could pry it back off if I had to
thanx for saving me from disaster. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

there are moving parts inside your doors, if you spray foam in there they wont move anymore, but sealing up the holes helps mid bass alot
I understand what you're saying. I wasn't thinking of filling the panel up with foam but rather a dab of foam around the opening of the hole but it probably wouldn't stay in place long enough to dry. that would be some funny sh!t if someone did fill up there panel and they couldn't roll down their window.

you don't have to use dynamat to seal them...even sealing them with MDF boards will help alot, from what I have heard and what I understand...you want to separate the rear of the speaker from the listening compartment as much as possible.

I've got mine sealed with MDF that is then covered with dynamat. It helped alot. I never tried with just mdf without dynamat, tho...

I wouldn't bother sealing them up unless you already have the outer door skins deadened. It'll be a pain to remove them when it comes time to deaden the outer door...

i use sheet metal, pop rivets, and silicone. Just make sure there is nothing you want to do inside the door before you close it up like JimJ said.

DSC01291.jpg

on my car it was impossible to seal up the entire door skin due to moving parts. first i put as much of a layer as i could on the outside inner skin.

000_3716.jpg

then i coated the inside inner in a layer

000_3718.jpg

then i went back to cover up as many of the holes as i could. i thought about using mdf but my door trim panel actually sticks out into the door itself on the big opening on the bottom. i ended up buying a roll of roof flashing (thin metal) and used self taping screws to hold it to the door. then i covered that with another layer of dynomat. this pic doesn't really show it but i had to go back with a wooden mallet and bang the form into the flashing / dynomat pieces so the trim panel would go back on.

100_0001.jpg

100_0002.jpg

I did my entire outer door with Dynamat.

dynamatfrontdoors3.jpg

Then I covered the entire inner door with another layer.

dynamatfrontdoors4.jpg

After that I gave both the outer and inner layer a coat of Ensolite.

ensolitepassdoor1.jpg

The rest of the interior got the same treatment. I would say do as much deadening as you can afford.... the more the better. Do it in phases if you have to, that helps ease the pain a little.

I didnt cover the holes in my doors with MDF, maybe I should have but its sealed up pretty good between the Dynamat and Ensolite.

I wouldn't bother sealing them up unless you already have the outer door skins deadened. It'll be a pain to remove them when it comes time to deaden the outer door...
I've seen people use heavy cardboard, like the "for sale" signs. They tape them together then tape them over the holes, and put deadener over it. It's not as sturdy as say, metal, but it does the trick, I hear.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.