Should I return my Sony Xplod amp for the Alpine MRP-f300?

iCeNN
10+ year member

So after asking an car audio store to order the Alpine MRP-f300 for me to buy, the owner tells me that they're out of stock and they won't be getting them for another month. But they had a Sony Xplod Gtx6040 in stock and after checking the reviews on my phone, I ended up buying the Sony, cause I didn't want to wait. But ever since something in me sort of regrets getting the Sony, even though it sounds good and gets the job done to say the least. Mainly because I keep hearing all these good things about Alpines, and the great reviews on the MRP-f300 in particular. Now at this point I COULD order the Alpine off the store's website, and ask for a refund on my current Sony. But I wanted to know, is it really worth it? I mean the Alpine would cost me about $20 more(not too bad), but the Sony isn't bad at all. Would I hear a difference in sound quality? If so how much? Since I just recently went ahead and replaced all my speakers( with Alpines), and my HU, should I dish out $20 more bucks and get a more critically acclaimed amp? Or would you guys save your selves the trouble(if this happened to you) and just keep the Sony Xplod? Please let me know what you think. Thank you!

if it's really just a 20 dollar difference i would definitely go with alpine. you'd be happier in the long run IMO. the alpine would also most likely put out an amount of power closer to what it's rated for. also, are you limited to buying just from this store? idk how their prices are but sonicelectronix.com has probably the best prices around for most stuff. i wish you the best and hope your setup comes out nicely

btw, i just checked sonic for those amps. the alpine goes for 150 and the sony goes for 90. also, the sony had a 3.7/5.0 with 7 reviews and the alpine had 4.7/5.0 with 16 reviews.

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone. I'm convinced. I called the store and they're supposed to get em in this Wednesday. Hopefully they will and everything goes smoothly.

i have the alpine mrp f300 and i like it, but i don't have much to compare it to. i have it hooked up with auditor 165s 6.5's in the front and bridged with Sony Kicker tc104.

i have the alpine mrp f300 and i like it, but i don't have much to compare it to. i have it hooked up with auditor 165s 6.5's in the front and bridged with Sony Kicker tc104.
Glad you like it. The reviews on that thing is great. I just hope the store gets em in this week.

If the Sony amplifier sounds good to you, I'd say just keep it for now. You can accomplish more by upgrading speakers, employing a clever installation, or tuning your audio with a DSP system than by swapping your amps all the time. When you invest money in amplifiers, your pay off is on a logarithmic scale at best. Granted, I'd recommend to stay away from cheap garbage amps, where they're so built so cheap that the back plat rattles and so on. Yes, the Sony could be one of them, but I'd say if you already have it and you see no obvious defects, you may just keep it. Alpine F300 is certainly a good amp, and I'd buy it over any Sony amps any day. Besides being well built, you probably want to gain a bit more power as you upgrade, as this can certainly improve sound. I'd say save cash for now until you can afford something like the MRX-F65, which would be a clear upgrade IMO.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.