Should I go with a 10" or a 12" sub in this box?

drboyd

SW USA
OK, I'm too stinkin' lazy to get out the table saw and make my own box. So, I'm looking at a Zenclosures 1.1 cubic foot sealed box instead; I guess I could port it if I had to. I'd go bigger on the box, but I don't want to give up the trunk room...

Am I gonna be better off with a 10" or 12" in this box? I'm figuring probably about a 300 watt amp will fit the budget. I don't need high SPL; I'm looking to fill in the lower end with good SQ. Any suggestions on a specific sub would be more than welcome, too.

Thanks in advance for the collective wisdom!

You could get a 12" Image Dynamics ID... Would fit into your power range, and should do fine in the box size... Not sure on a price, check ebay or see if someone is selling in the classifieds.

In a 1.1 cu ft sealed, I would go with the sub I have right now, RE Audio SRX12. With a 1.25cu ft box you will get about perfect QTC, but a 0.95 cu ft box would work just fine (1.1cu ft minus 0.15 for air displaced by air). In my sedan, I get about flat response from mid 30s into 80s (Hz). Ideally though, I'd put it into a bigger box. Maybe a 1.4cu ft sonic sub box sold by sonicelectronix.

In my opinion, it's better to go with 12 inch sub if you can. It will run more efficiently than a 10 with the same motor, and play a little lower.

OK, I ran one of those through WinISD, and it came back with a box size of 2.119 cubic feet. Am I missing something?
Image Dynamics does very well with telling their consumers what boxes to put their subs in. The 12" ID calls for 1.25 cubes, which is a lil more than you have now. the 12" IDQ calls for .9 cubes. So the IDQ would probably be better for your box size, but power wise the ID would be better. Guess its really a toss up. The ID 12 calls for 2 cubes in a ported enclosure, but you stated you were gonna probably run it sealed.. These will have some better SQ than the RE, but the SRX is a descent sub as well at that power band.

zenclosures are very well built, ive had two of them and as long as there to sec its just like a custom built box/ My only complaint is the terminals/ A shop quoted me $350 to build the same exact box I got from Mike for $100

OK, here's where I am now.

The Alpine SWR-1223D 12" Dual 2 ohm, with the voicecoils in parallel. The Qc is a lille higher than with the ideal box, but only about one dB or so, and that should be tolerable.

Amp would be a Polk PA400.1 Monoblock, to do 400W RMS at 1 ohm.

Box as noted.

Somebody shoot me before I buy all this stuff!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.