Sherwood XA-1240Q - How much is it worth?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I was given a Sherwood XA-1240Q amp by my uncle. It's a 240 watt 4 channel amp, and it's old. I believe it was made in about '93 or '94. I hooked it up and it still works just fine and actually surprised me with how hard it hit bridged on 2 12s.

Does anyone know anything else about this amp, or maybe even an estimate for how much it's worth? I'm considering using it myself to power mids and highs if I don't sell it.

Here's a picture of it

kvzfq.jpg

How much is it fused for? Is the cover easily removable for a pic of the circuit board? Looks pretty decent, though. They made nice stuff back then, especially that particular era.

I'll take pictures of the inside tomorrow, I'm not at home right now. Like I said, it surprised me when I hooked it up in my car. It's obviously built decently if its still in operation after nearly 20 years.

Those old Sherwoods were good cheater amps... ive often heard legends about them in my uncle's old men circles supposedly they weren't clean sounding but got down... he used them on his wall of white face pioneer 6x9's...

...my uncle just gave me an old 4ch lanzar opti amp which i currently have hooked up... it surprises me how good and clean it hits also has hardwired 8 gauge power wiring and inline fusing...(He also has some M&M godfather 15s imma walk away with when hes not looking...)

Keep that amp! at events no one else will probably have one... and while everyone is frying their new amps its still working old school ftw!

How much is it fused for? Is the cover easily removable for a pic of the circuit board? Looks pretty decent, though. They made nice stuff back then, especially that particular era.

It has a 20A and a 25A fuse. And I got some pictures of the inside

35009ar.jpg

jb2w5u.jpg

30n8x3k.jpg

I wouldnt sell it..Id keep it..Thats a nice old amp..Run it if its working just fine..I run mainly old school amps from the late 80s on up..My 20 yr old amps seem to sound so much cleaner/crisp, and have some real power verses alot of newer amps..id keep it for the simple reason your uncle gave it to you..He didnt have to give it to you,he could have put it on CL,or Ebay even

The sherwood ax line amps were true cheaters they paved the way for the 2ohm stable amplifiers they were rated at 180 watts and 240 watts underratedly the 180 did well into the 400 watt range and the 240 easily 700 twatt range. Keep in mind it's the 1090s and 100 watts were off the scale that's on good electrical and ran at 4 ohms or 2 ohms!!

The sherwood ax line amps were true cheaters they paved the way for the 2ohm stable amplifiers they were rated at 180 watts and 240 watts underratedly the 180 did well into the 400 watt range and the 240 easily 700 twatt range. Keep in mind it's the 1990s a1000 watts was unherd of. Also that's on good electrical and ran at 4 ohms or 2 ohms!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.