Shallow Mount 6.5 components suggestions?

PittViper
10+ year member

Hi,

I currently have a set of Polk db6501 components in my 2008 chevy aveo with 1" spacers used in the doors. I want to replace these.

I need a ridiculously shallow driver for the door;

Please advise on all components that would fit this installation.

Thanks,

Jason

I found the CS 6.5 set from DD audio. Anyone heard of these and are they any good? The mount depth is 50mm.

Also found these: Phantom Series 6.5" 80-Watt Shallow-Mount 2-Way Component Set Precision Power - Any opinion on these?I

Also these: Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System, inexpensive but how do they sound? Also, may *NOT* fit, .1 inch too deep.

Also:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an extra set of DD 6.5 componets for sale ...I bought them for my Wrangler but sold it before I ever hooked them up ...they are brand new sealed in plastic
Can you tell me the max top mount depth of these drivers? So far, my reading has shown that they reviews are very good. Have you actually used the other set I presume you own? Describe your impressions of the sound. Let me know the cost please. Are these the complete package of DDCS 6.5's? All mounting hardware included?

Can you tell me the max top mount depth of these drivers? So far, my reading has shown that they reviews are very good. Have you actually used the other set I presume you own? Describe your impressions of the sound. Let me know the cost please. Are these the complete package of DDCS 6.5's? All mounting hardware included?
I used the cs 6.5 in the wife's car. They are quite warm and full rounded mids and the soft dome tweets are very crisp and clean. And yeah very shallow mounting depth. I recommend.

I found the CS 6.5 set from DD audio. Anyone heard of these and are they any good? The mount depth is 50mm.
Also found these: Phantom Series 6.5" 80-Watt Shallow-Mount 2-Way Component Set Precision Power - Any opinion on these?I

Also these: Infinity Reference 6030cs 6.5-Inch 270-Watt Two-Way Component System, inexpensive but how do they sound? Also, may *NOT* fit, .1 inch too deep.
What exactly do you want that the Polk components are not doing for you?

I am not sure exactly. What I mean is, they no longer sound crisp, bright, or smooth in the mid range. I have a pioneer DEH 80prs and I know I need to set the xover better and eq it to a greater extent, but since I obtained this new hu, and have gone active, the polls just don't sound right to me.

I was just assuming that I can get more quality sound with higher end comps.

What are your thoughts...

I am not sure exactly. What I mean is, they no longer sound crisp, bright, or smooth in the mid range. I have a pioneer DEH 80prs and I know I need to set the xover better and eq it to a greater extent, but since I obtained this new hu, and have gone active, the polls just don't sound right to me.
I was just assuming that I can get more quality sound with higher end comps.

I've used the db6501's, they aren't as clear and crisp as others...I really felt they lacked in the midbass dept as well.

I currently have some JL's and they sound a ton better, running active as well.

Take a look at these, I've heard them in person and they sound absolutely amazing.

Rainbow SLC 265.25 NG

You should be able to get those Polks sounding great with the active xover though

properly deadened doors? everything sealed up well?

Make RTA measurements in the car at 1/6 octave. We can help you get started. You're going to find some big peaks and dips, which result in poor sound. Some dips you can't fix, but they aren't all audible with music. Crossover settings don't take a lot of work. I recommend choosing the steepest slope your HU offers to minimize phase errors at the crossover points. 16 bands of graphic EQ per side is a lot more than most head units have to offer, and you should be able to smooth out the sound. Do the left side, then do the right side.

You don't have to try to copy this exactly, but it can sound very nice. You might like more bass, more midbass, more treble. The important thing is to have a goal so you're not tuning endlessly.

stargetresponse.jpg

I have done so, and the sound has really come alive. Back are the highs and mids. But, I am just convinced I can do better with improved speakers, so, back to the matter at hand, which shallow

I could swear I saw somewhere that there are shallow mount components around 1.5". Can't remember what they were or who made them. Can you help me find them?

Last edited by a moderator:
CDT ES-6iM with DRT-26A aluminum tweeters instead of the default silk tweeters. These are among my favorite tweeters, and the woofers have the ES-6 performance with an inverted magnet design.

polk dxi 6501 are pretty shallow but im not sure on the mounting depth. they fit in my kick panels pretty **** easy, im sure they're under 2.5 inches

im happy with them, had them for a few months now

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.