Setup for ROCK music ... want to feel vs. hear -- So confused

jjkusaf

My current setup just doesn't cut it anymore and am looking to start over. I do not listen to rap/r&b or really any other genre's of music except for Rock (Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, AC/DC, The Band, Nirvana, Metallica, etc) and occasionally country.

I've been researching and have just become so confused over the setup I need. Down here in Montgomery...I haven't found a place to really "listen" to the options.

I want to be able to feel the bass vs. hear the bass (if that makes any sense?). I want to feel each riff of the bass guitar. I am not out to annoy other drivers on the road.

I have been looking at potentially getting 2 Sundown Audio SA-8 V2 D2 and a Sundown Audio SAZ-1000D (or 1200D) in some box that (sealed I guess???) would be best suited for rock.

My worry is that this particular setup may be overkill for its intended purpose.

I do not intend on upgrading the electrical system ('01 Explorer Spt). Other than that...I do not have a budget.

Any suggestions are welcomed...I'm just so confused because most of what I've read seems to be geared more towards rap/r&b which I do not care for. I just want a simple hard hitting (feeling) setup to where I can listen to my rock.

Please help me spend my money.

Thanks!

-JK

2 v.2 8's would get the job done, but you dont want them in a sealed enclosure they dont like those very well,

a correctly designed ported enclosure will give you that feel your looking for. another thing that can help with that a lot is to bolt the enclosure down to something that is solid (some part of the chassis) so that the vibrations transfer into the vehicle more, you will probably have to invest in some sound deadening work and chase a few rattles but it will give you a lot more feel from it.

Yes the enclosure will be your most important piece to get the sound you want. I listen to the same music. A lot of 80-90s rock. With a little of the new stuff as well so I know what you mean as far as the sound. What car are you working with that will help A custom box tuned at 35 hertz should work pretty well mine is tuned around there. I get all the guitar riffs and the kick drums as well

Thank you for the help/suggestions. Will probably come back in a few weeks for more thoughts. What I've done now...

I went ahead and purchased the Sundown Audio SAZ-1000D from WoofersEtc (through Amazon). A gentleman from WoofersEtc called today and said they wouldn't arrive until NEXT Friday and gave me the option of waiting, cancelling the order or upgrading to the SAZ-1200D for 20 bucks more. SOLD.

So, I'll be waiting for the arrival of the 1200D...in the meantime upgrading the current wiring (it is only 8 gauge). I will test the amp on the old subs I have (some MTX 10s from about 10 years ago). Depending on the sound, I will then go about the original plan of adding the two sundown 8's mentioned earlier...or possibly getting some Sundown 10s.

So...I'll be back for possibly more advice a little bit later.

Thanks again!

-JJK

Cone area and power is my way of doing it. I run a single 18 off 7kw in the daily, rock has a good amount of punch to it. In the demo set up kick drums are kinda brutal, just the way I like it...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.