Setting up amp and components

Participant count
  • Participant list

Darb81

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm totally new to all this, learnt enough to know how to install my system the other day but have no idea how to set up amp and speakers crossovers or what setting are best. The system is a Pioneer GM-D8704 amp and Focal PS 165 V1s. The amp is powering the focals and a Alpine type S sub.
Just need a little guidance on selecting the correct settings on the amp and crossovers. On the amp ch A (Front speakers) and ch B (Sub) has a LPF and HPF selection switch and also has a frequency dial, am I right in saying that if you select the LPF or HPF setting then the frequency dial is taken out of the circuit and won't have any effect on the frequency settings but if you put the LPF/HPF select switch to off then that's when the frequency dial comes into play and you can select what frequencies are sent to the speakers?
The next question is, what is better, selecting the frequencies by the dial and switching the LPF/HPF switch to off or using the LPF/HPF switch and if I use the dial, what should I set it at for the sub and for the focal speakers.
Now to the settings for the tweeter crossovers, they have 2 switches that has 3 settings each, one switch has 0bd, -3db and -6db and a second switch that has 1, 2 and 3. I have a rough idea of what they do, the db switch is the output level of the tweeters, is that correct?, I tried the 3 different settings but couldn't really tell any difference. And the other switch that has 1, 2, and 3 does that change the frequencies that are sent to the tweeters?
I'm hoping someone has had or has this setup and has played around with these settings before and can tell me what I should set the frequency settings too. I'm guessing switch the LPF/HPF switches to the off position and adjust the frequency dials and then adjust the crossovers to...???
The manual for the cross overs really doesn't say anything at all about the switches so really unsure about what they exactly do and I don't like trying to set something up without knowing what I'm adjusting.
I hope all this makes sense and someone can easily help me out, this link below is of a photo of the amp controls and switches.
https://gofile.io/?c=rCjRS6
and this is the manual for the amp
https://cms.pioneercarentertainment.com/files/Manual/Operation Manual_GM-D8704_GM-D9704.pdf
One more thing, in amps specs it says the LPF cut off frequency is 40hz to 500hz and the HPF cut off frequency is 40hz to 500hz. I thought they would be different, I guess I have no idea, anyone care to explain that to me too?
Thanks in advance

around 80hz is a good place to start for crossover points for sub and mids

heres how to set amp gain...

heres the tones..

the crossover settings are for the tweeters volume and cutoff frequency. set it to what sounds good to you

Focals manual *****. contact them if you want more details

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Darb81

CarAudio.com Newbie
Darb81
Adelaide
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from