Setting the EQ on the Premier 880prs and adjusting my amps

aphex
10+ year member

Finally got her installed 2 days ago... Forgive me for my newb questions, its my first halfway decent system in my car.

My current setup;

Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS (Headunit)

Polk Audio MMC6500 6.5" Components (Front)

Polk Audio MMC570 5x7 Coax (Rear)

Polk Audio C400.4 - 100w x 4 channels (Full Range Amp)

Alpine M301 - 350w x 1 channel (Sub Amp)

JL Audio 10" W3 - Sealed enclosure (Sub)

Prior to the new headunit, everything was running using a David Navone 4-channel LOC, sub amp using the preamp outs on the 4ch amp. AFAIK, the system (read: Amps and LOC) was set to sound good using the crappy input source, obviously things have changed now.

My question is; What is the best method for tuning my system? I'm assuming i'll have to start from scratch (tuning the amps), but also i need to get into a pleasing EQ as well.

So far, all i have done is, pursuant to the Pioneer manual, set the sub amp LPF to the highest frequency, and ran the Auto EQ / Auto Time Alignment. Definately improved the sound, but as expected, it definately can be better if i do it manually. Right now i have it on 'Powerful' setting.

Part of my problem is i don't totally know the general idea of what works best. How do i know what LPF is too low? What about the slopes? each of the 16-bands on the EQ? Sorry for all the questions.... hope someone out there can either show me a quick idea of what i should be looking to do, or point me to a nice site with some info...

EDIT: I should clarify. I KNOW that setting EQ is a highly subjective art; however, i just need the basics on where to begin... I want to get the best SQ out of this thing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Finally got her installed 2 days ago... Forgive me for my newb questions, its my first halfway decent system in my car.
My current setup;

Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS (Headunit)

Polk Audio MMC6500 6.5" Components (Front)

Polk Audio MMC570 5x7 Coax (Rear)

Polk Audio C400.4 - 100w x 4 channels (Full Range Amp)

Alpine M301 - 350w x 1 channel (Sub Amp)

JL Audio 10" W3 - Sealed enclosure (Sub)

Prior to the new headunit, everything was running using a David Navone 4-channel LOC, sub amp using the preamp outs on the 4ch amp. AFAIK, the system (read: Amps and LOC) was set to sound good using the crappy input source, obviously things have changed now.

My question is; What is the best method for tuning my system? I'm assuming i'll have to start from scratch (tuning the amps), but also i need to get into a pleasing EQ as well.

So far, all i have done is, pursuant to the Pioneer manual, set the sub amp LPF to the highest frequency, and ran the Auto EQ / Auto Time Alignment. Definately improved the sound, but as expected, it definately can be better if i do it manually. Right now i have it on 'Powerful' setting.

Part of my problem is i don't totally know the general idea of what works best. How do i know what LPF is too low? What about the slopes? each of the 16-bands on the EQ? Sorry for all the questions.... hope someone out there can either show me a quick idea of what i should be looking to do, or point me to a nice site with some info...

EDIT: I should clarify. I KNOW that setting EQ is a highly subjective art; however, i just need the basics on where to begin... I want to get the best SQ out of this thing //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Start by using a DMM and dialing in your amplifier gains so that clipping is not a problem. Then my suggestion would be to connect the mic and perform the auto TA/auto EQ. I am in normal mode my slopes are set at 18, 12, and 12, because Polk makes no recommendation that I could find so I played this by ear. Play a few nice SQ CDs and listen to the sound. One great feature of the 880 is that adjusyments are implemented instantly and you can adjust volume while tuning. BTW my HU sounds best when the eq is flat. Of course this is subjective as you indicated, but I think you really have to play it by ear at this point.

It took me about 2 weeks of tweaking and tuning to get mine sounding halfway descent. Then I sold my ride and had to re-install my system in a whole new different SUV. Had to start all over again. And it was worse, the acoustics of the vehicle different, different speaker locations etc.etc..... It's been a nightmare:crazy: But now it's all good.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Good luck with it. Just keep messing around with it you'll get it.

i have my crossover set flat, i find that powerful drowns out my midrange, but i'm running active so we're kind of in two different boats

just for ref:

sub crossed at 80hz @ 18db

woofer at 80 @ 18db - 3.15 @ 12db

tweet at 3.15 @ 12db

tis a typical; and probably most common x-over points but i find it sounds best for my install

I guess I am one of the lucky ones, and the acoustics of my QX4 are really compatible with this setup. As you mentioned, I do not run an active setup so that may be a large factor as well. I play all my music from my ipod, and 90% of the time my HU is flat with no BBE, loudness, or other bells and whistles. On the few occasions when I encounter one of the OLD 128 kbps files I have to tweak it a bit but I have the "custom 1" eq setting saved for those occasions. Keep tweaking and you will get it eventually. Good luck getting it setup.

Ok so back to this topic (today is the first chance ive had to mess with the system) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Should i turn the crossovers on the 4-ch amp off? Leave them to HP? If so, What frequency?

Ok so back to this topic (today is the first chance ive had to mess with the system) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Should i turn the crossovers on the 4-ch amp off? Leave them to HP? If so, What frequency?
Use the Xovers in the deck as they will be of better quality in MOST cases.

Just got a 880 myself. I've got mine set at 63 for front, flat eq, +2 BBE, auto TA. All the other stuff (bmx,comp,sla,loud,etc) turned off. I may have screwed somthing up, but I thought the auto EQ sounded shitty. Back to the topic at hand, I'd set your amp gains first. Find distortion point at 80% volume and turn your amp level down a notch. Do the autoEQ/TA with the mic. Turn off auto eq, but leave auto TA on. Set your comp,bmx,bbe,eq bands from there to your preference. Make sure you have your desired seating position selected. Mines set for the 2 front seats. Re 4 channel xovers, I'd set them on HP for autoTA/EQ, setting the amp xover a little lower than what you think you HU will set them at. 70 should be a safe bet. As far as the sub amp, youll want to turn your xover off and crank your xover all the way up for the HU to set it. I believe it states this in the manual.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.