Seting gain using a MultiMeter (volts) help

dab86
10+ year member

Question. What is the current volts my amp should be putting out for the following setup?

Two dual 4ohm subs.

Wired to 1ohm load.

Subs are rated at 500rms each (1000 rms total).

Amp is mono 1000 watts rms at 1ohm.

What should my voltage be set at when using a multimeter? Test Tone is 50hz.

Should it be 31.6 volts or 63.2 volts?

Thanks!

I did the whole multi meter thing but with actual music as I could still turn the gain up further without distortion. I use music starting with the sub amp and then do the highs blending it in as much as I want

At 31.6 volts it def does not sound like 1000watts rms...i can turn the gain up more with no distortion. At 31.6 volts, the gain is half way up with 0 bass boost and my lc7i bass channel is turned way down with zero accubase.

At 31.6 volts it def does not sound like 1000watts rms...i can turn the gain up more with no distortion. At 31.6 volts, the gain is half way up with 0 bass boost and my lc7i bass channel is turned way down with zero accubase.
buy a portable osilloscope for $70 and set it at the amps clipping point regardless of ratings

yes, setting for 31.6 is very conservative. If you're using a 0db tone you're basically insuring the amp will never clip at all. Realistically, it will never get close to clipping because most music rarely gets to the 0db level.

Setting it for a little clipping at high volume is not dangerous.

I have often seen -3 and even -6 tones recommended for setting gains.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.