Seen this box before? Subs INSIDE of square port?

Meh, Im the kinda person that wants something different with every build I guess, thats kinda why I change them so often. A V would essentially be exactly what Ive got, I dont know if its the port thats killing my output.

Got some thinkin to do here

I say try it if you like the idea. If not for practicality(car audio durr) do it in the name of science. I, too think it would behave strangely, but it would be something unique.

Basically im not happy with my wall, didnt get what I want from it, and I think the port is just to small, only 160" for 4 15's..... but thats all I could come up with, to fit in my limited front baffle area (max 33 height, 37.5 width)
So the only other way i can think to fit these 4 15's in a wall. Is to make a square port dead in the center of the front baffle, and put a sub on each inner side of the port. In my head its gonna work, but Ive never seen it done like this before.

This is the wall now

p1000541.jpg

This is my dream

52947444.jpg

And from the side (not to scale obviously)

11405562.jpg

Has anyone ever seen a box like this before? Are there any difficulties or tricks to tuning it. The port will have to be a minimum of 15.5 X 15.5 to fit the subs, but I plan on giving myself a bit of leeway and going 16.5 X 16.5" and that would give me about 272 sq in of port area, minus the parts of the sub that would be protruding

Just curious if anyone has ever seen a box just like this before, or ANY tips I can get. Tuning may be a bit diffucult. I think I will end up with about 16 cubes before any displacements, and with a port that big, Im hoping to need atleast 17" depth so I can obviously mount the subs.

Any help/tips/tricks/links appreciated.
unless you seal it like a diamond, it wont work.

The box cant be wider than it is. My car has wheel well humps thats why there are 8" plus beauty panels on each side. I have no problem with volume really, as 15+ cubes is more than enough for me. Its just fitting everything on one front baffle that Im stumped on. ANd I kinda like this idea.
Just need the advice on how it would sound / how to tune it
search for 31.17, look at my build and youll see what he means

Wot, have you really use an single 1/2 inch mdf for your front baffle like you said you would few months ago?

Why don't you like the actual wall? not loud enough? not sounding great? I'm pretty sure you can get it louder by using thicker mdf

my two sd2.5 are freaking loud, i can't image what 4 in a wall could do? Have you got number from it yet?

what about doing the port the way you are thinking but instead of mounting the subs on the walls of the port, doing an angle on the front baffle. if you cant understand what i am saying, it would be as if there was a huge port flare and the subs mounted on the flares. it should allow you to do as much port area as you want while not having to worry about the cancellation problem from the subs being mounted to the inside of the port itself. i, however, am not sure if you would have an issue with space when doing it that way but its something to consider. with there being a flare on the end of the port it may help you with airflow a tad as well.

Nick

Wot, have you really use an single 1/2 inch mdf for your front baffle like you said you would few months ago?
Why don't you like the actual wall? not loud enough? not sounding great? I'm pretty sure you can get it louder by using thicker mdf

my two sd2.5 are freaking loud, i can't image what 4 in a wall could do? Have you got number from it yet?
Its 5/8" around and a double baffle front, but there is 6 inner cross braces that obviously made a huge difference. Im just not happy with this box because I dont think I gave it enough port, and I put the subs to close to the back seats.

Trust me its loud, violent

I do believe the box would give some cancellation though, I just cant think of another way to get 4 and a port on my limited baffle area

Ya kinda *****

I coulda swore Ive seen a truck or 2 with a blowthrough where the subs were all inside the port, but I cant find anything on them right now.

You can mount the subs in a recess like you drew, firing directly at each other. I had a friend in the mid 90's built a wall that way. Worked well. But, the recess cannot be the port itself. You cannot fire the speakers directly into the port, tuning would be totally destroyed, for several reasons.

Ya I getcha, idea scrapped.

Thinking of just building a wall for 2 15's, using the SDC's on some high power, run em til they blow, then pick up some HD3 15's and slap em in. I just dont have the room in this stupid infiniti trunk for 4 15's walled I guess

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.