Seen this box before? Subs INSIDE of square port?

WOT

Banned
Basically im not happy with my wall, didnt get what I want from it, and I think the port is just to small, only 160" for 4 15's..... but thats all I could come up with, to fit in my limited front baffle area (max 33 height, 37.5 width)

So the only other way i can think to fit these 4 15's in a wall. Is to make a square port dead in the center of the front baffle, and put a sub on each inner side of the port. In my head its gonna work, but Ive never seen it done like this before.

This is the wall now

p1000541.jpg

This is my dream

52947444.jpg

And from the side (not to scale obviously)

11405562.jpg

Has anyone ever seen a box like this before? Are there any difficulties or tricks to tuning it. The port will have to be a minimum of 15.5 X 15.5 to fit the subs, but I plan on giving myself a bit of leeway and going 16.5 X 16.5" and that would give me about 272 sq in of port area, minus the parts of the sub that would be protruding

Just curious if anyone has ever seen a box just like this before, or ANY tips I can get. Tuning may be a bit diffucult. I think I will end up with about 16 cubes before any displacements, and with a port that big, Im hoping to need atleast 17" depth so I can obviously mount the subs.

Any help/tips/tricks/links appreciated.

Ya you lost me, but I have no concept at all on how this will act in real life. Was hoping there was a build I could compare to or something. I just liked that I finally found a way to get GOBS of port area, and keep the subs inside the box so I can have my seats folded up when I got passengers (another reason I dont like my current wall)

If you want a design, PM me.
thanks for the offer, but I really have no concrete measurements, and am pretty much just gonna build the shell minus the front baffle and port trying to get every inch of volume out of my hatch. Figure out my volume, then build the baffle/port and brace it to holy hell.... cause there gonna be alotta weight on the end of that port....

Thats if I do decide/ get convinced, that this idea will even work

Is it called a clamshell technically?

is this your second thread about this?
its a compression chamber-style box, it can be done, but it wont have a response like a standard ported box.

I made a thread in the design forum, but it got 2 replies, now Im just hoping to get referred to some other builds, so I can see how other people have done it.

What do you mean i wont get the same responce as a standard slot. This is a daily driver, so Im just looking for a good sound. But some wow factor with the 4 15's inside a cubed port would be cool if its gonna sound nice

oh, and if you build the box in your truck (not a rectangular box, build it to the curves of the interior), you could easily wall 4 15's with a much larger port. You have a ton of wasted space by the look of your beauty panels

I made a thread in the design forum, but it got 2 replies, now Im just hoping to get referred to some other builds, so I can see how other people have done it.
What do you mean i wont get the same responce as a standard slot. This is a daily driver, so Im just looking for a good sound. But some wow factor with the 4 15's inside a cubed port would be cool if its gonna sound nice
think about the motion of air. The pressure created from the subs will be pushing into the pressure created by the port. In a standard ported box, this is not happening.

Sure, you could do a ported box design like this, but it probably wont be the way you want it the first time. Trial and error can get it done the hard way, but its gonna cost you a lot of wood.

that, or have someone design it for you.

or be a man, build the box into the truck, and make a bigger wall without wasting so much space with the beauty panel

The box cant be wider than it is. My car has wheel well humps thats why there are 8" plus beauty panels on each side. I have no problem with volume really, as 15+ cubes is more than enough for me. Its just fitting everything on one front baffle that Im stumped on. ANd I kinda like this idea.

Just need the advice on how it would sound / how to tune it

Well Ive got a few rides, so I really dont mind losing the cargo space, plus my rear interior is busted to **** form the rollover anyways so hiding it just is another plus lol

What about V-shaping the sub baffle so you can fit more port area?

I know people who have tried the idea you have and they always end up running to cancellation problems with subs firing towards each other and into the port wave.

Ya I can see what you guys are talking about with cancellation, I just dont/didnt know the actual affect it would have with this design or if it would affect output at all

Really thought i was onto something!!

As for v shaping the baffle, not really looking to do that. Considerring going back to 2 15's actually, if I cant get this to work

Ya I can see what you guys are talking about with cancellation, I just dont/didnt know the actual affect it would have with this design or if it would affect output at all
Really thought i was onto something!!

As for v shaping the baffle, not really looking to do that. Considerring going back to 2 15's actually, if I cant get this to work
why not V it? that makes everything so much easier, lol

so you want ot make this as complicated as possible, or downgrade?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.