securing the battery

Lil Poot
5,000+ posts

you sturrin at me brah?
Wichita KS
got my install just about done, except for the battery just chillin on the floor!

trying to figure out a way to mount it. all of the mounting kits i've seen are intended to mount the thing standing straight up, and to keep it where i have it now, i need to mount it on its side. what are my options? as it sits now, the rear (towards the back of the truck) of the battery will be right up against the underside of the seat, however if need be i can move it forward an inch or so and get about 1/4-1/2 inch clearance between the battery and the seat. in the front theres like 3 inches of clearance so its not a problem.

heres a few pictures of what i'm working with, the seat that will go over the top is obviously not in the truck now.

snc10396xm9.jpg

snc10397kj7.jpg

snc10398lm6.jpg

Just buy the threaded install hooks and cut them to length. 2 brackets secured to the floor and a piece of 1/8" strap metal across the top and you're done...

Looks good..... Be innovative and find a non-metallic strap to secure it to the floor with bolts and nuts. Have you consulted the battery manufacturer about ventilation?

bend up a peice of metal (about a inch wide is all and dosent have to be too thick 1/8-1/4 will work) with a flat top and a 90 degree angle facing down on each side to conform to the battery then another 90 on each side facing out so they are flat to the floor so you can be able to bolt them to the floor

its an optima yellow top, gel battery. doesn't really need ventilation, but there will be some air moving back there anyway.

as for bending the pieces of metal, thats kind of what i was thinking. we have those at work, just that they seem a bit flimsy to be securing a 70+ lb battery through a potential crash. they aren't an inch wide, i'd say 2/3 to 3/4 inch wide. and about 1/8th thick. they also aren't long enough to get all the way around the battery, so i'd have to secure 2 of them together. the good thing is that the big yellow tops have notches all the way around the battery that stick out about a half inch, and are around an inch wide, so that will help keep it from moving if i get the securing straps in between those.

as for bending the pieces of metal, thats kind of what i was thinking. we have those at work, just that they seem a bit flimsy to be securing a 70+ lb battery through a potential crash. they aren't an inch wide, i'd say 2/3 to 3/4 inch wide. and about 1/8th thick. they also aren't long enough to get all the way around the battery, so i'd have to secure 2 of them together. the good thing is that the big yellow tops have notches all the way around the battery that stick out about a half inch, and are around an inch wide, so that will help keep it from moving if i get the securing straps in between those.
sounds like a good idea:D

do what i did in my explorer:

just use the existing bolts from the seat and chain around that. worked very well.

100_1089.jpg

but.... your not gonna want the battery there so you can compete.

i dont compete, it's just for daily, and i want to keep my backseat.

it's all mounted, i ended up buying some plastic strap from lowes and bolting 2 strips of that to the floor to hold it where it is in that picture.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Lil Poot

5,000+ posts
you sturrin at me brah?
Lil Poot
Wichita KS
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date