Securing large gauge ring terminals to wire?

Goldtaz1
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I was just curious as to how many of you secure your 1/0 gauge wire to the large gauge ring terminals? I seem to always have problems getting them good and secure. I know they make the kind that have a set screw, but a lot of the time I don't spring for those and I just get the kind you have to crimp.

they make industrial size crimpers that size

but i recommend a flathead screw driver and a hammer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

or a vise grip

but i recommend a flathead screw driver and a hammer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
I hope your joking? Flathead screwdriver doesnt do **** compared to a anvil and a hammer... best connection i ever had....

gonna try the solder heat shrink option next time tho

Used to use the vice. Now I just hold the ring part in my vice so the hole is facing up, then melt a bunch of solder in there, let dry. Put the wire in a little and heat it back up with a blow torch till the solder melts and it will let you push the wire all the way in, let dry and done.

I place mine with the connector in the vise and the barrel side up. Using my hobby butane torch, I fill the barrel about half way full of solder then insert the stripped wire into it and leave the flame on the barrel for about 10 seconds.

No cold solder joint and they last forever. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Electric tape one round around the wire, to hold the terminal in place of the wire, then smash away. Then use a lot of electric tape to bond that baby together!

p-hammer.jpg

dB

I place the stripped wire in the barrel place it on a hard surface beat the hell out of it with a big hammer until it heats up doesn't look good but thats the electrical tape is for.

I place the stripped wire in the barrel place it on a hard surface beat the hell out of it with a big hammer until it heats up doesn't look good but thats the electrical tape is for.

It's exactly what i said.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

dB

Solder is the method i use. Same as a few described above. Put the terminal in a vise with the "cup" facing up. Heat it with a blow torch, and fill it up about halfway with solder. Then, slide the wire in, hit it with the torch once again, and voila, instant solder joint that is strong as hell.

But, if you don't feel like going that route, or don't have access to a blow torch (as many people don't) the good old "hammer and your driveway" works just as well. When i used to do it that way, i went as far as sliding some heat shrink on the wire before i crimped it. Then, slide the heat shrink up and shrink it around the crimp. Works like a charm. Pick your poison, and have at it!

hammer time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

(dont everybody all dance at once)

Hammer and prick punch on an anvil. I've never had luck simply smashing it with a hammer. Those always come apart as soon as I pull even gently on it. I've used a cold chisel to fold the terminal in on itself along the length of the wire with good results as well. Once its folded into the wire, I crush it in on itself with a hammer and punch.

Heat shrink>electrical tape in every way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.