Searching for old school sound with new school size (amplifiers)

Thanks for the info, I was just being polite with my response, I have plenty of seat time with car audio, happens when your 40 , for those who have given great suggestions, it is greatly appreciated, I have had plenty of simple set ups, that isn't the goal I am trying to achieve, anyone that read my first post has taken note that sound quality is not at all the issue with the current set up, it is the size of the amps and the fact that they take up the entire rear wall of my truck, add the monster xovers for the PX comps and it begins to limit the seat travel. So again thanks to those that have responded to the inquiry, when I think I have power questions, post will say something like" do I have power issues" or if I have speaker questions, maybe something like " do I need imaging tweeters to raise the sound stage" until then we are at quality sq amps with smaller footprints
Seat time 10 plus years ago and today are not the same. We can blow away a real build from the 90s with 5 amp channels, well placed front stage, and a DSP. Imaging and staging that was unreachable even 10 years ago.

I’m not trying to be a ***. You absolutely do not need imaging tweeters or rear fill.

Thank you
Many folks don't even bother to read the OP and just parrot the same cookie cutter advice every time.

I too believe you're way over-complicating things, but got the vibe you are happy with the sound and are a guy who has his mind pretty made up about what you want.

I will say when and if you migrate this all into a different car, do consider a less is more approach. With current technology and proper install techniques you don't need arrays of speakers to achieve reference quality sound. The conventional wisdom these days is that the best money you can spend (for sound quality) is in digital sound processing, next proper deadening and mounting locations for components. From there amps and speakers aren't terribly important provided you're not scraping the bottom of the barrel. (And that's coming from a guy who spends on amps and speakers, but not so much for sound but build quality and supporting companies with whom I like doing business).

OP, what was the problem with JL amps that left you unimpressed?

The XD amps are pretty amazing and rumor has it the new RD's possibly sound better.

Not trying to push you toward JL, just wondering what the issue is.

Not sure why so many speak badly of Steve's(zed) customer service, I emailed him at 8am est and had a reply back at 1030am est. With an ample amount of info, PDFs prices, specs and so on, have me some good ideas, but still want to do a little more research...

I've had a couple older version jl amps over the years and although nice sound and overall performance, they have seemed to lack in dynamic power vs others I have had, and for the price it needs to lack no where. My opinion and experience

they have seemed to lack in dynamic power vs others I have had, and for the price it needs to lack no where. My opinion and experience
If you look at some JL dyno's you'll find they don't really HAVE dynamic power. The gap between certified power and dynamic is ~10%. They're also strangely inefficient, especially at their price.

FWIW -- I've been a Zed fan since the early 90's when my brother went all out on a 4 amp Optidrive set up -- the old gray/blue ones, I was probably 16. Going on 15 yrs ago now I got my hands on a 1000.1D and it's been a tank, sliding around in the back of my minivan for years and has never blinked.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.